Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Why this book?

Top Ten is an original feature/weekly meme originally created by The Broke and the Bookish and is now hosted by The Artsy Reader Girl that features a great bookish top ten every week.

This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is things that make me pick up a book.

Ash-
I feel like we've talked about this a lot recently. All the reasons why a book catches our eye. But I will do it again, because I enjoy talking about covers. (Also had way too much fun with this one, whoops)

1. Bright colors on the cover

Me and Earl and the Dying GirlThe Girl Who Would Be KingThe Brilliant Light of Amber SunriseBig Magic: Creative Living Beyond FearThe Sun Is Also a StarFirst & ThenThe Wrong Side of Right

2. Beautiful cover with a lot of flowers, trees, nature type things

The Cage (The Cage, #1)Awaken (Awaken, #1)Kill Me Softly (Beau Rivage, #1)Winter Notes on Summer ImpressionsElly In Love (The Elly in Bloom #2)Sisters in SanityThe Treachery of Beautiful Things

3. Beautiful fantasy looking cover (Mermaids, unicorns, horses, such like that)

Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1)Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)Shearwater (Ocean Depths, #1)Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)Tooth and NailCollide  (Collide #1)Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)

4. If the cover looks super creepy or If the cover has creepy letters

Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)AmityMARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)AnnabelleCuckoo SongTouched

5. If it has a lovey dovey/cutesy cover

Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)TheatricalI Love You So MochiA Taxonomy of LoveLove HurtsHas To Be LoveWaiting for Tom HanksHearts Made for Breaking

6. If the book has an interesting title (especially the long titles)

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay BuriedThe Statistical Probability of Love at First SightAcne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half DragonAlien Invasion and Other InconveniencesAttack of the 50 Foot WallflowerThe Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the ApocalypseThe Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (Virginia Shreves #1)

7. If it's an author I've read before, there's a few I always pick up their books when they come out with new ones. Some of my favorites are Laurie Faria Stolarz, April Henry, Dawn Kurtagich, Jay Asher.

8. If it has a pretty model on it (I love books that show characters on the covers)

Everblue (Mer Tales, #1)Before Life Happened (Before, #1)The Belles (The Belles #1)Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)A Dance of Silver and Shadow (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)Colorless (Colorless, #1)

9. If it's a new cover for a book I've read - Can't find any examples, but when they change covers I always want to pick up the new cover and check it out.

10. If it has a lot of blues/purples/pinks

Made You UpA Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)The Princess in the Opal Mask (The Opal Mask, #1)A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)Unicorn TracksBetter Than the Best Plan


Jenn-

Okay so mine won't be as intense as Ash's but here is my top 10

1. If it's an author I have read before and loved then it's automatic for me. Sometimes I don't even read the synopsis. 

2. A very different and interesting title. Strange titles always pull me in. Like this one: 




3. Cute covers. I love adorable, cartoonish, vintage, retro, covers... like these... 




4. Mental health issue books. I love these. Even though they are fictional, I feel I always come out knowing more than I did when I started. 

5. A farytale retelling always grabs my attention. Most of the time just knowing its a retelling I will read the book. 


6. When I see my blogger friends that have similiar taste rave about the book. I will read it. 


7. Bold and Big lettering for the title. These always make me turn my head twice when I see them on the shelf. 


8. Any book that has a creepy looking cover... 




9. Any time a book likes like its a space opera or space adventure. 




10. ZOMBIES....always good to read about zombies



4 comments:

  1. AHHH, There's so many books to add to my TBR because they have pretty covers!! Why did you do this to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice items!! Find myself agreeing with a lot of them and loving your examples too! Seeing some I read, some I need to read and screaming at the lack of time for them all! Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't lie, all those bright colored covers together dazzled me. I can appreciate all different kinds of covers, but a well designed cover is kind of a must for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright-colored covers really do stand out, and I like covers with trees or leaves or something nature-y on them, too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs