Thursday, April 25, 2019

Completely Series-Us: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Completely Series-us is a new feature where we post about one series we read that month. 

Ash-
The series I'm highlighting this month is The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. 


Uglies (Uglies, #1)
Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfelt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: February 8th, 2005
Pages: 425
Audio Length: 10 Hours and 12 Minutes
Genre: YA Sci-fi/Dystopian
TW: N/A
Series: Uglies #1
Source: Audio
 
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.


But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever.. 


Mini Review:
I read this book when it came out forever ago. I loved it then and I loved it just the same now.
I don't think I hated Shay then though, the way I do now. She made me roll my eyes so much. She was so very selfish and just blah. Tally was okay she was just naive. 
Other than that, the story is really interesting.


Pretties (Uglies, #2)Title: Pretties
Publishing Date: November 1st, 2005
Pages: 370
Audio Length: 9 Hours and 21 Minutes
Genre: YA Sci-fi/dystopian
TW: N/A
Series: Uglies #2
Source: Audio
 
Mini Review:
 I feel like Scott put a whole into this book that was unneccessary though. Like all the high tech stuff her just throws in. I feel like some of it is just way too much. But I think that's the point of it.
I like this book just as much as I liked the first one.




Specials (Uglies, #3)
Title: Specials
Publishing Date: May 9th, 2006
Pages: 384
Audio Length: 9 Hours and 12 Minutes
Genre: YA Sci-fi/dystopian 
TW: N/A
Series: Uglies #2
Source: Audio
 
Mini Review:
This is when the series starts going down for me. It's still good, I still enjoyed it. But it was still kind of just meh. There was so much put into it that it felt overwhelming. 


Extras (Uglies, #4)Title: Extras
Publishing Date: October 2nd, 2007
Pages: 417
Audio Length: 9 Hours and 27 Minutes
Genre: YA Sci-fi/dystopian
TW: N/A
Series: Uglies #4
Source: Audio
 
Mini Review:
I always felt like this one was just kind of thrown in. The series was supposed to be a trilogy and this one was just there. It's interesting for sure, but I feel like it should have been more of a spin off. Even though it does include Tally and gang at some point. 



Overall I feel like I love this series so much because it's nostalgic to me. I did enjoy it and I definitely suggest everyone to read it if they like dystopians or sci-fi. 


Found around the web:
Related imageTally Youngblood Recolor by AnywhereButRealityTally n Friends by davincidiva

Dream cast:
Tally: 
Saoirse RonanLily Collins

Shay:
Adelaide KaneMichelle Trachtenberg

David:
Dave FrancoMax Thieriot

Zane:
Austin ButlerToby Hemingway

Jenn-

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was a series I really enjoyed. It was a great sci-fi adventure with a bit of dystopia in the mix.
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)


I gave every book a 5 heart rating... here are my reivews
Across the Universe- A Million Suns- Shades of Earth 


Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Across The Universe by Beth Revis
(Across the Universe #1)
 

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship —tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.




Series Review:

I really enjoyed this series. I think this was the first series that I read that was set in outer space on a ship. At the time of reading the first book, there wasn't much of these out there for YA. There still isn't but there are more than there was. I really enjoyed the setting and the story. 

This book was also the first I read going into planet settlement, clones, and other really cook sci-fi stuff. I don't think I was much into sci-fi until this read. 


I really enjoyed the characters, especially Elder. There were so many great characters and character relationships. Each book in the series had mystery that was to be solved... whether it be murder, sabotage, or unusual aliens.  It was just really good. 


I enjoyed the entire series immensely and would love to read more books like these and more from this author. 

Series Rating:






Beth Revis
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.



Extras:


I don't think this would make a great television show but it would make a great trilogy for the movie theater. 

Here are my picks for Elder and Amy

Mena MassoudBella Thorne


And from Beth Revis Website: Beautiful Art!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs