Monday, April 29, 2019

Review: Shutter by Laurie Faria Stolarz

ShutterTitle: Shutter
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Publisher: Disney- Hyperion
Publishing Date: October 18th, 2016
Pages: 337
Audio Length: 6 Hours and 43 Minutes 
Genre: YA Mystery 
TW: Abuse
Series: N/A
Source: Audio
 

Sixteen-year-old Day Connor views life through the lens of her camera, where perspective is everything. But photographs never tell the whole story. After Day crosses paths with Julian, the world she observes and the truths she believes—neatly captured in black and white—begin to blur.
Julian does not look like a murderer, but his story is full of holes, and his alibis don’t quite add up, either. This time, Day is determined to see the entire picture…whatever it reveals.
Did he kill his parents? Or didn’t he?
While Julian remains on the run, Day digs deeper into his case. But the more facts she uncovers, the longer her list of questions becomes. It’s also getting harder to deny the chemistry she feels with Julian.
Is it real? Or is she being manipulated?
Day is close to finding the crack in the case that will prove Julian’s innocence. She just needs time to focus before the shutter snaps shut.
What made me pick this book up: 
It was Laurie Faria Stolarz. Plus the cover. 

What did I like about the cover: 
I love the reflection in the water. It looks like a photograph plus it kind of shows, to me at least, that who you think he is, is kind of hazy. It's just a reflection of who you think he is.
Maybe I'm digging too deep into it. But I think it fits the book well. 

What made me read this book: 
Like I said, that it's Laurie Faria Stolarz. I love her books. Besides that I love a good mystery. 

What did I like the most: 
I waited way too long to do this review, I don't remember too much about it. Which sucks. But I'm going to try!

I do like the story. Of course like I said I do like a good mystery. And I also like a good story where you don't know if they did it or not. You want to believe this person is good and wouldn't ever kill anyone. 

These type of books can go either way. Either they were framed, or they did it for a good reason, or they're just psychotic. I love finding out which it is. 

I also love hoping the person is good and then finding out they really are. It doesn't always happen that way but sometimes it does.

As always LFS wrote this really well. The emotions were great, it was realistic and not over done so it seemed fictional. 

I kind of had it figured out before it was revealed. But not quite. I had the who figured out. That was about it. It still left me wanting to read more to actually find out what happened.

I did like Julian. I felt sorry for him, and wanted to believe the best of him. I wanted him to be a good guy. I wanted him to be loved and have a good life. 

What didn't I like: 
It was a little bit slow. I know this is supposed to be one of those slow burning mysteries. But I still feel like it could have been more interesting in parts. It just felt a little... Slow. There's another word I'm thinking of an just can't seem to pull it out. 

I didn't care much for Day. First of all, her name is Day. Second I just didn't feel anything for her. I feel like we didn't get to know her very well. If anything had happened to her, I just wouldn't have minded. 

I also didn't really care for Day's mom. She seemed hypocritical almost to me. In the end she ended up being decent, but for the most part she was just kinda blah.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I have read SO MANY books by this author. The Touch series, Blue is for Nightmares, Project 17, Welcome to the Dark House. I think there's only one of her books I haven't read. Besides ones that she wrote with other people. Like anthologies. 


Overall it was decent. Nothing spectacular. 









Look PastDancing with MollySplinterCaptiveThe Last Good Day of the Year


Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston.
Laurie Faria Stolarz is an American author of young adult fiction novels, best known for her Blue is for Nightmares series. Her works, which feature teenage protagonists, blend elements found in mystery and romance novels.

Stolarz found sales success with her first novel, Blue is for Nightmares, and followed it up with three more titles in the series, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets, and Red is for Remembrance, as well as a companion graphic novel, Black is for Beginnings. Stolarz is also the author of the Touch series (Deadly Little Secret, Deadly Little Lies, Deadly Little Games, Deadly Little Voices, and Deadly Little Lessons), as well as Bleed and Project 17. With more than two million books sold worldwide, Stolarz's titles have been named on various awards list.


2 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I still need to read this one and her Touch series and maybe another...I'd have to check but my books are so scattered, as is my brain! Lol!! Glad to see you liked this one. I can't wait to read it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Świetnie jest ten artykuł. Mam nadzieję, że będzie ich więcej.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs