Thursday, April 11, 2019

It's Graphic Time! Sweet Tooth Volume 1: Out of The Woods by Jeff Lemire







Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods
Title:Sweet Tooth Vol 1: Out of The Woods
Author:  Jeff Lemire
Publisher: Vertigo
Publishing Date:  May 18th, 2010
Pages: 128
Genre: Post Apocalyptic Graphic Novel 
Series:  Sweet Tooth Vol 1 (issues 1-5)
Source:  Graphic Novel Paperback
 

Jeff Lemire's acclaimed new series introduce Gus, a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid who was raised in isolation following a pandemic that struck a decade earlier. Now, with the death of his father, he's left to fend for himself . . . until he meets a hulking drifter named Jepperd, who promises to help him. Jepperd and Gus set out on a post-apocalyptic journey into the devastated American landscape to find 'The Preserve,' a refuge for hybrids.

Ash had found this graphic novel. Not sure where or how but I thought it sounded interesting and the cover and title really drew me in. So I asked her for. And she said yes. And I read this very strange graphic novel. I really enjoyed the story and the art work. It was all very interesting. It’s different then any of the others I am reading right now and I am very curious to see where the story will take me.
The story is about a boy/deer creature that lives in the woods with his father. An apocalypse of some kind has happened and the effects are making every one sick and they die… all except those that are half human and half animal. Gus, the boy-deer hybrid, has never been out of the woods, has never met anyone but his father. His father dies and he ventures out…. Because well what else is he supposed to do. He is attacked and then saved by some man that promises to take him to a reserve. This is the story of Gus.
There isn’t too much in this first installment. I feel there are so many unanswered questions… which I like in a graphic novel. I don’t want it all up front, what would keep me reading. I really got nothing from this installment except the fact that people get sick and die and that there are half human half animal children in the world. I am hoping in the next installment I will see more of the others that exist. Even though there wasn’t much here I still very much enjoyed the beginning of this story. It was very interesting and it kept me very invested in the life of Gus.

I really liked Gus. In the story Gus believes he is nine years old. Which seems very young, but Gus seems to be very brave and responsible for his age. Which is good because his father dies… which is very sad. Gus is a good kid and very easy to love. He is also very naive as he knows nothing of the cruel world outside the woods. His father has told him its scary and crazy and cruel but he wasn’t really prepared for what was beyond his home. He does trust a bit easily and it does get him in trouble but I am not sure what is alternative would be. He has to find a way to survive and that means getting help from others.

There really isn’t any other characters of note except for the man that helps Gus out… and promises him a place he can live. I liked the guy, he was a rough type but I found myself enjoying his company and wanting to trust him. Unfortunately it doesn’t look good. Really the entire volume is Gus and this man and their travels.

The artwork is nice and does set the tone for the story very nicely. I love the muted colors and the simplicity of the artwork.

I am very excited to read the next installment and hope to get it soon, I really want to know what the heck is going on and I really want to see what happens to Gus.




I loved it.











Jeff Lemire

Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs