Tuesday, April 16, 2019

It's Graphic Time: My Boyfriend is a Monster Vol. 1: I Love Him to Pieces by Evonne Tsang


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)Title: I Love Him to Pieces
Author: Evonne Tsang
Illustrator: Janina Gorrissen
Publisher: Graphic Universe
Publishing Date: August 1st, 2010
Pages: 123
Audio Length: 48 Minutes
Genre: YA Zombie Graphic Novel
TW: Death?
Series: My Boyfriend's a Monster Vol. 1
Source: E-book
 

Can love survive the zombie apocalypse? Maybe Dicey's first chance at a real relationship was dead from the start. She's the star of her high school baseball team, and Jack's the star of the science program. Her idea of a study session includes sleeping in the sun, and his idea of a good game involves dungeons and dice. But opposites start attracting when they're assigned to be partners in a class project. Now an outbreak of a weird infection--it eats your brains and leaves you hungry for more--might not mean just the end of their first date. It might mean the end of everything. Will their relationship fall apart faster than zombies in the Florida sun, or can Dicey and Jack beat the odds and find a happy ending?
What made me pick this book up: 
Nostalgia? I read this one way back in 2011 when I worked at the library! I don't really know what made me pick it up then, probably the title.

What did I like about the cover: 
It's a cute cover. I like that it's in color, since the rest of the book is not.

What made me read this book: 
Like I said, nostalgia. That and I remember I really enjoyed this book. I never finished the series, so I thought I should. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Absolutely!



The biggest problem I have with the artwork is the fact it's in black and white. I love being able to see the hair color and the different colors in the book. I feel like colors really bring a lot to it. Other than that, it's simple but cute artwork.








I really liked the characters in this book. From the main characters to her friends and family. They are all funny and I would love to be friends with them.

I absolutely love the relationship between Jack and Dicey. They're funny and have great chemistry. And I love how one is a nerd and the other is a jock. And the girl is the jock.





The pace is odd. It starts off slow but then everything happens at the end. And just like their romance. Don't know each other, then just friends, then in love all within like... a week or two? It was just too much. I mean it was sweet, just kinda weird. 






The story is kind of meh. I think each book is a different set of characters and different monsters. So this one had 123 pages to tell a story and make you love the characters. That's a hard task.

So the story was meh.



I do love this book just as much now as I did when I read it nearly 10 years ago. 






Brain CampCourtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1)Zombie Terrors: An Anthology of the UndeadZombies CallingZombies vs. Robots Complete




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs