Thursday, April 4, 2019

It's Graphic Time! Gotham Academy Vol. 1 Welcome to Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham AcademyTitle: Welcome to Gotham Academy
Author: Becky Bloonan
Illustrator: Karl Kerschl, Brenden Fletcher
Publisher: DC Comics 
Publishing Date: June 17th, 2015
Pages: 160
Genre: YA Superhero Mystery Graphic Novel
TW: Mental Illness
Series: Gotham Academy Vol. 1
Source: Book
 

Welcome to Gotham Academy, the most prestigious school in Gotham City. Only the best and brightest students may enter its halls, study in its classrooms, explore its secret passages, summon its terrifying spirits...
Okay, so Gotham Academy isn't like other schools. But Olive Silverlock isn't like other students. After a mysterious incident over summer break, she's back at school with a bad case of amnesia, an even worse attitude...and an unexplained fear of bats.
Olive's supposed to show new student Maps Mizoguchi the ropes. Problem: Maps is the kid sister of Kyle, Olive's ex. Then there's the ghost haunting the campus...and the secret society conducting bizarre rituals.

Can Olive and Maps ace the biggest challenge of their lives? Or are they about to get schooled?
Collects Gotham Academy #1-6
What made me pick this book up: 
I saw it when I was looking up graphic novels to read and I love Gotham (Enough that Greyson's second middle name was going to be Gotham) And this one just looked so cute. 

What did I like about the cover: 
I love the colors and I love the look on their faces.

What made me read this book:
DC... Gotham... Ghosts...  


Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Yes absolutely! At this point I've read two of them and I love them. 




The artwork is super cute and I think it fits the book well, with it being about kids in the DC universe. I think it's cartoon-y without feeling too cartoon-y.






I love the characters in this book, they are written really well, all very unique and full of personality. Maps is my favorite by far, I also really like Colton. He makes me laugh, even if he is kinda annoying. I can't really think of anyone I don't like. 


I feel like they all come together to help Olive, even someone who doesn't like her much. 






The pace of this book is great, it has a great build up but it's not slow at all, once things start going, they're really going. 






The mystery of this is great, it makes me want to read more and I honestly have no idea where the author is going with this. Which is awesome. It still has the batman element of it, without it being completely batman. Which is also great.





This was a really fun read. It definitely made me want to read more of the series to find out what's really going on.




Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl of BurnsideGoldie Vance Vol. 1Power UpLumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming



Born in Pisa, Becky Cloonan began her career self-publishing mini-comics in 1999. Since then she has gone on to work with publishers like DC, Vertigo, Dark Horse, Harper Collins and Marvel, winning a few Eisner Awards along the way, both for self-published books. In 2012 Becky broke a glass ceiling, became the first woman to illustrate an issue of Batman. In her spare time, she illustrates for Mondo, Criterion, Roadburn Festival, Konkani and DeathWaltz Records, and has worked with bands like Clutch, Abbath, X Japan, and Black Sabbath.

1 comment:

  1. gotta say, that comic looks well drawn, and colors are pretty good. always good to have a solid story line as well yeh

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs