Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)Title:  Shades of Earth
Author:  Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Publishing Date:  January 15th, 2015
Pages: 369
Genre: YA Sci- Fi Thriller
Series:  Across The Universe #3
Source:  Audio
 

Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.

FUELED BY LIES.
RULED BY CHAOS.
ALMOST HOME.

I was so happy to finally get to the last book int his series. I read the first two years ago. I had to re-read them again before getting to this one and I am glad I did. There was so much I had forgotten but mainly I was just happy to enjoy the first two again and right before this last book. This book was loved just as much as the first two. It started with a bang and ended with a bang. 

The Godspeed has finally landed... on the new planet. Things are supposed to be good, but they have been warned and they don't know what the warning is for, they just know that someone has tried very hard to keep them from landing. Now they are here and the danger seems real. Now they must figure out a way to live here without dying. 



It really took me forever to read this last book and I am not sure why. I am not sure if it was the fact it was the last book and I didn't want it to end or that I was afraid of how it would end. Eventually it was because I needed to re-read the first and second due the not remembering anything. 

What I enjoyed about this last book was the different setting. Not only are the people of Godspeed on a new planet, they are on a planet for the first time. They were born on the ship and they have lived on the ship. This new place is exciting and new and beautiful and dangerous. They are overwhelmed and I could feel all their emotions just emanating from them. 

The story had so much too. Mystery and action and death. So much just as much as the other two. These books are science fiction but they have a lot of thrills and a lot of mystery that I just love. I love the blend of genres. It was for sure a very fast paced action filled exciting read. 

The characters have grown so much. I can say that I have enjoyed Elder from the beginning, but in this book he just shined. Amy wasn't my favorite in this book but I still liked her and understood. Really I felt this was Elder's book. He has come such a long way and his journey was so great to be part of. He grew into a very confident man and fearless leader. 

It was also nice to see some of the earthlings come out in this book. They have been frozen for centuries and throughout both the first two books. It was good to get to know some of them, like Amy's parents. 

The setting, the story, the action, the characters. All were so wonderful. I am sad to see this series end, but I just loved how it ended. It was magnificent!


Bang of a book for a blast of series! 





Beth Revis



Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs