Thursday, March 28, 2019

It's Graphic Time! Morning Glories Vol 1. For a Better Future by Nick Spencer


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better FutureTitle: For a Better Future
Author: Nick Spencer
Illustrator: Joe Eisma and Rodin Esquejo
Publisher: Image Comics
Publishing Date: March 2nd, 2011
Pages: 188
Genre: Thriller Graphic Novel
TW: Murder
Series: Morning Glories Volume 1
Source: Book
 

Morning Glory Academy
One of the most prestigious prep schools in the country...But behind it's hallowed doors something sinister and deadly lurks. When six brilliant but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and desperately seeking answers...and escape from a place where nothing is what it seems to be!
What made me pick this book up: 
I was just trying to find new comics and I was interested to see what it was about.

What did I like about the cover: 
The cover isn't anything special, but it definitely made me curious. What was this book about? Was it a contemporary? Mystery? Horror? 

What made me read this book: 
I love books about private schools/academies/what not. They're always really interesting to me, especially horror ones. So I had to check it out.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Most definitely! After reading the first one I just had to keep going.



There isn't anything particularly special about this artwork. It's just normal artwork. It's good, but nothing special. I rated it a 4 because it's still good.






The characters are all very interesting in this book. Full of personality and very interesting. I'll start with who I don't like and go to who I do.

Don't like-

Ike. He's an asshole. He's incredibly selfish, and willing to do whatever he can to have the best things. Anything. He's perverted and gross and just awful.


Zoe- Also very selfish. Stuck up and feels like she's better than everyone else. She's also supposed to be Indian but I don't really see that here. She's really pretty but just rude and self centered. She doesn't care who she hurts.


Just kinda meh characters.

Jun- He's smart and kinda a bad ass. He protects the others. I think I'll like him more as I read, but for now he's just kinda meh.


Jade- She's this emo chick who is kinda annoying at first. But then you really get to see her grow as a character. She's suicidal and just cries over everything. But you find out why as it goes on. I don't have any feelings one way or another towards her. 


Now on to my favorite characters.

Casey- She's smart and genuinely cares for others. When I first saw the cover I kind of figured she'd be a stuck up mean girl (See Zoe above) but honestly she's really sweet and just wants to help everyone.


And my all time favorite!

Hunter- He's geeky and awkward and sweet and a redhead. Have to love my redheaded boys. He's by far my favorite because he just cares about everyone and I feel like I understand him as a person. Being awkward and geeky myself.





I feel like this one has a wonky pace. It goes from BOOM BOOM BOOM SOMETHINGS HAPPENING to nothing nothing nothing so slow and too much dialogue. I've read 3 of these now and they all seem to be that way.
It's not bad per say, but I wish sometimes it had a little less long dialogue. I kind of found myself skimming it at some pages.






This is where it gets a little tricky. There isn't much of a story yet, this is just the base for the series, and while a lot happens in it, I almost feel like not much happens at all. 

There's death and kidnapping and plans to rescue someone and it's all very very confusing.

That's why I kept reading this series though. It's one big huge mind f*ck. Seriously, I have no idea what happened. I'm still confused. What did I just read? I don't know, but I need to read more!



Overall I feel like I absolutely have to finish this series because I HAVE to know what happens. And why everything is happening. It all seem to have an underlying reason.



Mind the Gap, Volume 1: Intimate StrangersRachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of DeathStumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of TroublesScarlet, Book 1 (Scarlet, #1)


Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).


1 comment:

  1. Nice to see someone review this. I don't see too many people talking about Morning Glories, probably partly because it's on hiatus (I think?). I like the series, it's got that anything- can- happen vibe to it but at the same time I agree- it takes forever to get any real answers (if there are answers)! I'd like for it to be a little less confusing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs