Friday, March 29, 2019

It's Graphic Time! Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone By by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone ByeTitle: Days Gone By
Author:  Robert Kirkman
Publisher:  Image Comics
Publishing Date:  February 9th, 2013
Pages: 144
Genre: Apocalyptic Horror Graphic Novel
Series:  Walking Dead Vol 1 (issues 1-6)
Source:  Graphic Novel 
 

How many hours are in a day when you don't spend half of them watching television?

When is the last time any of us REALLY worked to get something we wanted?

How long has it been since any of us really NEEDED something that we WANTED?

The world we knew is gone.

The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been replaced by a world of survival and responsibility.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living.

In a matter of months society has crumbled.
no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV.

In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.

This is a re-read for me. I have read the first 12 volumes of this series… but it’s been a while so I decided to start over and try to get through them faster. I do love this series. I think if I had read them before I watched the show… it would have been okay and not love but since I am invested in the show, I think I love to read the books and see where they differ and still love on the characters.



So I am not sure I really need to do an explanation of the plot here. There are zombies, it is the apocalypse, there is a group of people doing what they can to survive. In this particular volume we see Rick come out of a coma, meet Morgan, find Lori, lose some people in the group, make some friends, kill one of his own, and kill zombies.


I think I am going to make this short. I am not really sure how to review these books. I mean, most people have heard of this series, read them, or watched the show. So I will just get into what I liked/

I like that the artwork is black and white. I think that it sets the tone for the world that exists within the pages. I think every now and then the gore could be a bit red among the black and white. Just for the dramatics. But really the art work is pretty cook in this graphic novel.

I am one of those that are obsessed with zombie apocalypse stories. I mean they are intriguing. Not only do have to worry about lack of resources and people being all crazy, you have to worry about the dead not dying. Very interesting right. I do love that Robert Kirkman focuses more on the humanity and survival of the characters instead of the zombies, but the zombies are there.

The story is fast moving, not many surprise and I suppose there wont be in rereads, but I also watch the show. I know there are some differences, my hubby has kindly explained them to me in the past, so not really looking for surprises.. but it’s still fun to read.


I just love it.




Writer: Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for his work on The Walking Dead, Invincible for Image Comics, as well as Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of the original co-founders of that publisher.
Robert Kirkman's first comic books were self-published under his own Funk-o-Tron label. Along with childhood friend Tony Moore, Kirkman created Battle Pope which was published in late 2001. Battle Pope ran for over 2 years along with other Funk-o-Tron published books such as InkPunks and Double Take.

In July of 2002, Robert's first work for another company began, with a 4-part SuperPatriot series for Image, along with Battle Pope backup story artist Cory Walker. Robert's creator-owned projects followed shortly thereafter, including Tech Jacket, Invincible and Walking Dead.
Tony Moore Illustrator: My name is Tony Moore. I'm a small-town guy from Kentucky, raised by a pack of wild televisions. I've been a fan of comics since before I could read, and have seldom in my life dreamed of becoming anything other than a cartoonist. 
I've been in the business since 1999, when I started work on my maiden voyage, Battle Pope. Since then, I've lent my hand to books such as Masters of the Universe, Brit, the Eisner Award-nominated series The Walking Dead, and my creator-owned books Fear Agent and The Exterminators. In recent years at Marvel, I have had the pleasure of getting to put my stamp on some wild runs on Ghost Rider, Punisher, Venom and Deadpool.
Thanks for coming along to check out my stuff.
I hope you enjoy the ride.






1 comment:

  1. I really liked the first few volumes of The Walking Dead. Do you think you'll continue to review them?

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs