Sunday, June 3, 2018

Review: The Silver Eyes by Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley

Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver EyesTitle: Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes
Author: Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Publishing Date: September 27th,  2015
Pages: 400
Genre: YA Horror
Series: Five Nights at Freddy's #1
Source:  Audio
 
Ten years after the horrific murders at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza that ripped their town apart, Charlie, whose father owned the restaurant, and her childhood friends reunite on the anniversary of the tragedy and find themselves at the old pizza place, which had been locked up and abandoned for years. After they discover a way inside, they realize that things are not as they used to be. The four adult-sized animatronic mascots that once entertained patrons have changed. They now have a dark secret…and a murderous agenda.



I discovered this book when Ash bought it at the bookstore. I don't know anything about the game or the story or that there was a game. I mean I have seen Friday Night at Freddy's everywhere but I wasn't sure what it was. Anyways I found out it's a horror game (and I do want to play the game) and this was a horror book. That was all it took for me. I like horror. This seemed like a good old slasher type horror. I was excited. So it is an old-fashioned type slasher story... and I did enjoy it. It didn't wow me but I liked it and enjoyed it for what it was.  

Ten years ago something horrible happened at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.  A child went missing and has never been found. His friends never got over it and have all gone their separate ways. Now they are back for the 10 year anniversary of the event. Strange I know. The four friends get together and decide to see the place one more time. What happens at this place changes everything. Now all of these friends are in trouble and secrets become known. They may just find out what happened to their childhood friend after all. 




I don't have much to say about this book. I enjoyed the book for what it was. A Horror book. There were things I enjoyed and things that weren't up to par. I didn't really dislike anything. I think it could have been more but it was a solid read the way it was. 

The theme is killer animatronics, missing kids, family secrets. All this adds to a pretty horrific story. The characters were all pretty cliche and flat but I didn't seem to mind. I always have a hard time connecting to characters in horror books. I mean really I read a horror book for the chills and thrills. So not connecting to the characters doesn't bother me. 

There were some pretty intense and creepy parts in the book. I will say that. The horror side was plus, the story was interesting and was a plus. I would have liked more slasher moments. I love slasher moments in horror books, especially when it feels like a 90's slasher story.  Which yes I love those. So that could have been a little more. 

The main thing that kept me from really loving this read is the writing. It was a little on the simple and younger side. The writing felt it was for a younger middle grade crowd, but the story was for the older teen crowd. So the writing brought this down a notch for me. 

It was a very fast read and of course, there could have been more depth, but I did like the story.  I did feel it came together and didn't really leave any holes. I liked the who how and why. So it worked out well in the end.

If you are looking for a simple horror book that does have some moments to get your blood pumping. This is a good choice. 




It was a good horror read. 







Kira Breed-Wrisley has been writing stories since she could first pick up a pen and has no intention of stopping. She is the author of seven plays for Central New York teen theater company The Media Unit, and has developed several books with Kevin Anderson & Associates. She is a graduate of Cornell University, and lives in Brooklyn, New York.

Scott Cawthon is the author of the bestselling video game series Five Nights at Freddy’s, and while he is a game designer by trade, he is first and foremost a storyteller at heart. He is a graduate of The Art Institute of Houston and lives in Texas with his wife and four sons.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one didn't live up to the horror name. It definitely seems like it was tamed a bit for a younger audience. :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one to me. Sorry it wasn't as good as you'd hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs