Saturday, February 10, 2018

Wee Reads: I Need my Monster by Amanda Noll



Ever since Finn was born, and even before then, we would read to him. We wanted to show him reading from an early age. Now he loves us to read the same books, over, and over, and over. But it is the sweetest thing when he likes to pick out a book and climb into our laps. 



What Finn Reads...
5022157I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll
  

A unique monster-under-the-bed story with the perfect balance of giggles and shivers, this picture book relies on the power of humor over fear, appeals to a child’s love for creatures both alarming and absurd, and glorifies the scope of a child’s imagination. One night, when Ethan checks under his bed for his monster, Gabe, he finds a note from him instead: "Gone fishing. Back in a week." Ethan knows that without Gabe’s familiar nightly scares he doesn't stand a chance of getting to sleep, so Ethan interviews potential substitutes to see if they've got the right equipment for the job—pointy teeth, sharp claws, and a long tail—but none of them proves scary enough for Ethan. When Gabe returns sooner than expected from his fishing trip, Ethan is thrilled. It turns out that Gabe didn't enjoy fishing because the fish scared too easily

What Finn Thinks...

Do you like this book?
Yeah! I like it a lot because I like monsters! But I only like nice monsters, not mean monsters!


What is your favorite part of the book?

I like when you do silly voices. And I don't like scary monsters. I like Ralph, but I don't like Cynthia because she is very scary. But I really love Mac because he's a boy monster, and he's not scary. He's just really silly because he does this (Finn sticks his tongue out) I like this book because not all of the monsters are scary and I like to see all of those monsters.


What do you think about the cover? 
I like it because it's monster letters. The red S and the blue E are my favorite letters.


Do you want me to read this again?
Yes but just later.



What Momma Thinks...


I really enjoy reading this book to Finn. The colors and art are great, the monsters are adorable (And super scary! As Finn says) My favorite part is being able to read the monsters in different voices. It always makes Finn giggle whenever I do the funny voices, and act like the monsters act. So, momma, has as much fun reading this book as Finn does listening to it.



Some of our favorite pages: 




Similar Books...




I was born and raised in Canberra, Australia. I immigrated to the United States as a teenager. After I married my college sweetheart, I began working in the purchasing division of a private university (ironic, since I despise shopping). I left the business world to attend to the business of raising children and concentrate on my writing. I currently live in the Pacific Northwest with my husband and four children.
When I’m not writing you’ll probably find me in the kitchen. I love to cook, especially sweet treats

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this sounds adorable. My kids have always like monster books.

    I love the artwork in this book. The spreads you showed look gorgeous. There's nothing that will convince me to read a picture book more than great illustrations!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs