Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review: Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne


Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)Title: Sky on Fire
Author: Emmy Laybourne
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publishing Date: May 28th, 2013
Pages: 215
Genre: Young Adult Apocalyptic
Series: Monument 14
Source: Audio




Trapped in a superstore by a series of escalating disasters, including a monster hailstorm and terrifying chemical weapons spill, brothers Dean and Alex learned how to survive and worked together with twelve other kids to build a refuge from the chaos. But then strangers appeared, destroying their fragile peace, and bringing both fresh disaster and a glimmer of hope.
Knowing that the chemical weapons saturating the air outside will turn him into a bloodthirsty rage monster, Dean decides to stay in the safety of the store with Astrid and some of the younger kids. But their sanctuary has already been breached once. . . .
Meanwhile, Alex, determined to find their parents, heads out into the darkness and devastation with Niko and some others in a recently repaired school bus. If they can get to Denver International Airport, they might be evacuated to safety. But the outside world is even worse than they expected.



Sky on Fire is the second book in the Monument 14 series. This book is about several kids trying to make their way to an airport, to try to find their parents. While they are out looking, there are a few other kids stuck at a superstore.

What made me pick this book up: 
I read the first one, duh.
What did I like about the cover: 
I think it's a great cover, that matches the story well. It looks creepy with the bus being bloody.
What made me read this book: 
Again, I read the first one. The first one ended in such a way, that I just had to read the second. Plus it was a short book, so the audio was only like 5 hours and good for in between longer books.
What did I like the most: 
I really liked the alternating chapters between Dean and Alex. I loved how on the edge this book had me as well. 
What didn't I like: 
I don't know that there was anything I didn't really like. The characters were better, and the story was good. I honestly can't think of anything i don't like.
Would I read the rest of the series? 
Yes! I cannot wait to read, or listen to, the third book.


Overall, I really enjoyed the first book, but I enjoyed this one even more. The narration was better, even though it was the same person, and I loved the alternating chapters between Alex and Dean


A Little Snippet
“I guess I could go and get a bunch of knives from the Kitchen aisles and throw them at the intruders. So lame. I wanted to wring my own neck for being so lame.” ― Emmy LaybourneSky on Fire




The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1)Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)The Release (Virulent, #1)Article 5 (Article 5, #1)




Emmy Laybourne is a young adult novelist and screenwriter whose debut, Monument 14, has sold over 100,000 copies in the US; was called “Frighteningly real…riveting,” by the New York Times; and is a best-seller... in France! Emmy recently collaborated with director Brad Peyton (San Andreas, Journey 2) on the adaptation of Monument 14 for the screen for Strange Weather Films.
Emmy is currently writing the Berserker series, which tells the story of a family of Norse teenagers with ancient Viking superpowers on the run in the American frontier. Publishers Weekly called Berserker "a bloody and fast-paced mash-up..." Yes -- the genres are Cowboys and Vikings!
Before her life as an author, Emmy performed original comedy on Comedy Central, MTV and VH1; and acted in the movies "Superstar," "The In-Laws" and "Nancy Drew," among others. She’s the daughter of cable pioneer Gerry Laybourne and TV producer Kit Laybourne, and is sister to sit-com show-runner Sam Laybourne.
Emmy is famous with SNL fans for her role as Mary Katherine Gallagher's best friend in "Superstar" -- and also to Comedy Central die-hard fans for a song she wrote and performed with her brother called, “We Can’t Make Love Because We’re Related.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs