Thursday, February 6, 2020

It's Graphic Time: Dark Tales: The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

Dark Tales: The Call of Cthulhu: A Graphic NovelTitle: The Call of Cthulhu
Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Illustrator: Dave Shephard
Publisher: Canterbury Classics
Publishing Date: April 3rd, 2018
Pages: 128
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: Horror Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: Standalone
Source: Book
 

In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
H. P. Lovecraft’s story of supernatural monsters deep in the Pacific, told in graphic novel format, will keep you on the edge of your seat. More than 100 pages of illustrated horror and adventure await! Henry Wilcox can’t ignore his dreams of an enormous green monster calling to him from an underwater alien city. He seeks the help of Professor Angell, who dies suddenly, leaving a box of research on the subject for his nephew, Francis. Francis seeks answers about his uncle’s death, and in the process uncovers evidence of a cult waiting for the Great Old Ones to return
What made me pick this book up: 
The publisher actually emailed us to send us these books. 

What did I like about the cover: 
I love the colors and of course I love Cthulhu.

What made me read this book:
I didn't even know it existed before the publisher emailed us. But I was glad they did. 
I love Cthulhu, and I've never read the original book (It's on the list! Don't shoot me!) so I loved the idea of a graphic novel version of it.  

What did I like the most: 
Like I said, I've never read the actual Call of Cthulhu so I didn't know what to expect. The story is a very interesting one and I loved reading and finding out more about Cthulhu. 

What didn't I like: 
It was a little bit on the slow side, there was a lot of confusing dialogue.
 A lot of scientific things and I got a little confused with the characters and the timing of what was actually happening in the present time and what was happening as a story they were telling.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I think I'd like to read the actual Call of Cthulhu, and his other books.


I felt the artwork was a little... boring. There was nothing super special about it. 
Image result for Dark Tales: The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft


As I said above the characters got a bit confusing. You don't really get to know any of them very well, and they're just kind of meh.


It took a little while before the story actually got going. And then once it did it was like WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM. Then the end. Like what.



I've always found Cthulhu as a whole to be interesting, and I loved reading about his story. It was definitely an interesting and unique one. 

Overall it was a decent read. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't quite this. 



The Monster of ElendhavenDark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern RetellingDark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic NovelDark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel



Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a series of loosely interconnected fictions featuring a pantheon of human-nullifying entities, as well as the Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire of magical rites and forbidden lore. His works were deeply pessimistic and cynical, challenging the values of the Enlightenment, Romanticism and Christianity. Lovecraft's protagonists usually achieve the mirror-opposite of traditional gnosis and mysticism by momentarily glimpsing the horror of ultimate reality.
Although Lovecraft's readership was limited during his life, his reputation has grown over the decades. He is now commonly regarded as one of the most influential horror writers of the 20th Century, exerting widespread and indirect influence, and frequently compared to Edgar Allan Poe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs