Wednesday, February 12, 2020

I Read That Movie: Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

I  read that movie is a feature where we compare movies or TV series, and the books they're based on.




Five Feet ApartTitle: Five Feet Apart
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: November 20th, 2018 
Pages: 288
Length of Audio: 6 Hours and 51 Minutes
Genre:  YA Contemporary 
Series:  Standalone
Source: Audio
  

In this moving story two teens fall in love with just one minor complication—they can’t get within five feet of each other without risking their lives.
Can you love someone you can never touch?
Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.
The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.
Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.
What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?
 
Mini review:

What made me read this book: 
I saw the preview for the movie. I didn't even know it existed prior to that. 

What did I like the most: 
I love Will. I just want to say that. I am in love with Will. I really liked Stella too, surprisingly. 
I feel like this was a really well written romance. Especially since the two MC's can't touch each other. It really shows how you can fall in love without having to be physical. 
This book gave me feels. It was a bit slow at first, but it didn't take long for me to not want to stop reading. 
Anyway. It gave me all the feels. I felt hope for the two of them, heartbreak because... well I can't tell you why. It'll ruin the book. 
I wanted Will and Stella to be together. I wanted them to have their innocent love. 
I keep going back and forth between 4 stars and 5 stars. If you look at my goodreads it's 4 stars... no 5 stars... no 4 stars.
I think it's more 4.5 stars.


What didn't I like: 
I do feel like this was too short at times. It felt a bit rushed and I would have loved to see more interaction between Stella and Will (Not physical, obviously) But I wanted to know them better. Especially Will. 
And as I said it was slow at the beginning, but it picked up pretty quickly. 






Five Feet Apart PosterRelease Date: March 15th, 2019
Cast: Haley Lu Richardson, Cole Sprouse, Moises Arias
Length: 1 Hour and 56 Minutes
Series: Standalone

A pair of teenagers with cystic fibrosis meet in a hospital and fall in love, though their disease means they must avoid close physical contact.

Mini Review:
At first I was doubtful of this movie. I didn't think I would love it. Just like the book it took a bit for me to get into this movie. It took a bit for me to love the characters. 

Let's compare:

Did I see the movie or read the book first?
I read the book first. But only because I wanted to see the movie.

Like the movie or the book better?
I honestly can't pick. I loved them both equally. I do feel like I felt more with the movie. I cried a lot more that's for sure.

How does it compare?

This movie is one of the best book to movie adaptations I've seen. They really didn't change much at all, and the emotions that went with the book definitely also went into the movie. 

Do the actors match the characters in the book?
YES I could not have picked better actors! Especially Will. I absolutely LOVE Cole Sprouse. Ugh my heart.

Major differences?
THE ENDING. If you've read the book you'll understand. And really, it isn't a big deal. It's something I was really looking forward to, but doesn't change the story any.

Fun Facts?

The balloons Stella uses for Will's birthday are purple. Purple is the official color of CF patients.

       



4 comments:

  1. I saw there was a movie for this before I ever knew about the book, and they both look good. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed both- I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this movie last night for my birthday, but I (gasp!) haven't read the book yet. Definitely plan to. I get the sense that I would have loved the movie more if I had already read the book because I felt like I was missing a little bit of connection to the characters, which I think I would have had more if I'd had their thoughts and feelings from the book.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this one but I haven't watched this one. I was surprised that I liked the book so much as well. I am not one who typically enjoyed sick lit but it was quite good and as you said, a bit slow at first but then gets better! I guess I need to watch the film adaption now...

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs