Friday, February 7, 2020

I Read That Movie: Looking for Alaska by John Green

I  read that movie is a feature where we compare movies or TV series, and the books they're based on.

This I Read That Movie is the show based on the book Looking for Alaska by John Green.

Looking for AlaskaTitle: Looking for Alaska
Publisher: Speak
Publishing Date: March 3rd, 2005
Pages: 221
Length of Audio: 6 Hours and 40 minutes
Genre:  YA contemporary
TW: Suicide
Series:  Standalone
Source: Audio
  

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .
After. Nothing is ever the same.
Mini review:

What made me read this book: 
I have had this on my TBR forever. I've wanted to read it since before I can remember but I just never got around to it. 
Now that it's a show I figured I should hop on the bandwagon so I can watch the show.

What did I like the most: 
I like how important friendship was in this book. It shows a lot about loyalty and being there for your friends no matter what. 

I like the Colonel and I liked Pudge. I feel like the characters are well written and you really get to know them as people and care for them.


I liked all the emotions put into this book. You could feel exactly what they were feeling and when Pudge hurt, I hurt. Nearly broke my heart. 


I also liked the feminism points made in this book, and how strong Alaska was in what she believed. She didn't let anyone change how she felt or change her mind. She just was.

What didn't I like: 
Alaska. I know that you're supposed to love her, but I didn't. I couldn't stand her. I know I said I liked what she believed in above but that's about it. She was the typical "pixie dream girl" that was unique and weird but you still loved her. But I didn't. I could never be friends with someone like her.
I feel like she could have been written better. I know she's screwed up, but meh. 





Looking for Alaska Poster
Release Date: October 18th, 2019 
Cast: Charlie Plummer, Kristine Forseth, Denny Love 
Length: 8 Episodes- 50 minutes each 
                             Series: Looking For Alaska season 1


A new arrival at a boarding school falls in love with a beguiling female student.


Mini Review:
Woooow. I absolutely LOVED this show. I binged it in one night. It gave me all the feels. Highly suggest even if you haven't read the book.


Let's compare:
Warning! There will be some spoilers.

Did I see the show or read the book first?
I read the book first.

Like the show or the book better?
Honestly the show was better. The book was good. But the show made me cry and gave me so much emotions. I love how they tied it all together. 

How does it compare?
For the most part it's pretty spot on. There's a few major parts in there that were different. Such as after the "big prank" the Colonel didn't get in legal trouble. 
Stuff like that. Nothing that changed the story and the ending was still the same. But there was some major parts that I was like that's not in the book.

But then there's parts that 100% like the book, dialogue and all. 

Do the actors match the characters in the book?
I think so. Especially Alaska. I think they picked the perfect girl for her.

Major differences?
I guess I talked about that up there. Oops. Like I said,t here are a few major differences but nothing that really changes the story. 

Fun Facts?

The idea of Alaska's name initially came to John Green as he was watching The Royal Tenenbaums. The Velvet Underground song "Stephanie Says," which plays in The Royal Tenenbaums, contains the lyrics "She's not afraid to die. The people all call her Alaska."

       



1 comment:

  1. I liked the book, but I agree about Alaska. I found her annoying. I want to see the show, but I don’t have Hulu, so that won’t happen.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs