Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Review: Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett


Starry EyesTitle: Starry Eyes
Author:  Jenn Bennett
Publisher: Simon Pulse  
Publishing Date:  April 3rd, 2018
Pages: 432
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  Audio
 
Ever since last year’s homecoming dance, best friends-turned-best enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn’t hurt that their families are the modern day, Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets.

But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together.

What could go wrong?

With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely.

And as the two travel deeper into Northern California’s rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?

This was my first book by this author and I must say I am in love. I heard some very grand things about her and her books, but I am not much of a contemporary romance kind of reader. I decided after reading many wonderful reviews, finding out this book had camping and hiking, and the love others had for the characters... I needed to read this book. I am so very please I did. I did fall for this book just like countless others and I am now a fan of Jenn Bennett and will read all of her books! 
Zorie and Lennon used to be friends, on the verge of more, then something happened, things changed, and now they aren't ever friends. In fact, their families are mortal enemies in a way. Well, they get stuck on a camping trip and after a big fight among all the friends. Zorie and Lennon are abandoned in the woods with hardly any supplies. They have to hike to a place to be rescued... well to get home anyways. They are stuck all alone together in the woods with a not so perfect past and present feelings wanting to escape. So yup it's a love story and wilderness survival story and a family drama story and friends are always your friends story. 

I really loved everything about this book. Jenn Bennett has a way of creating characters. Even the ones I want to hate I cannot hate. Of course, the dopes that abandon Zorie and Lennon in the woods, I want to hate them and can hate them... but then again leaving these two in the woods brought me a very lovely story. The characters were for sure one of the great things about this read but not the only great thing. There was so much greatness in this book. The characters I will start with though. 

Zorie is an interesting character. At times I wanted to yell at her. She assumed a lot. But she was broken and hurt and going through so much at home. She didn't want to get into things with Lennon. She wanted to shut the book on that relationship. The only problem. She missed him, she missed his family. She missed what they had and had no idea what went wrong. I couldn't agree with a lot of her thought processes, I think she was a little dramatic, but I could understand. 

Lennon... oh Lennon was wonderful. A little bull headed at times. but really cared about Zorie and wanted to have a relationship with her again. He thinks he knows what went wrong but really has no clue. He is a smart clever humorous and charming. I just loved all of him and his sweetness that is covered with a rough tough boy shell. 

The story with these two is sad but sweet. They were such good friends and it all fell apart. They had feelings for each other that have not gone away but are buried under betrayal and confusion. Once they get together the magic starts to happen. They open up and share some truths that are heartbreaking and sad and so messed up but it's all good in the end. The romance so fun so sweet so amazing. 

There is also some major family stuff happening in both of these kids lives. I really love when some deeper stuff comes into play. It makes the characters more real and relatable. The stuff was pretty crazy in Zories life and I really don't know how I would have reacted at her age. I think she was quite mature about a lot of it. 

The book really was amazing and so cute and so swoony and so fun and hilarious and so emotional. Yup, this book makes me into a rambling idiot. 


This book owns my heart. 




Jenn Bennett


Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of several young adult books, including ALEX, APPROXIMATELY and STARRY EYES. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, won the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® Award, and been included on Publishers Weekly Best Books annual list. She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two dogs. Visit her at www.jennbennett.net.



2 comments:

  1. I am so in love with Jen Bennett's books. I didn't think I could love a book more than I loved Alex, Approximately, but it happened with Starry Eyes. Cue the tears! I keep crying happy tears when I read posts about this book, because it made me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this book as much as I did. I can't wait to read more of Bennett's books now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs