Friday, April 20, 2018

Review: S.T.A.G.S by M.A. Bennett

S.T.A.G.S.Title: S.T.A.G.S
Author: M.A. Bennett
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publishing Date: January 30th, 2018
Pages: 296
Audio Length: 8 Hours and 37 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Mystery Thriller
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
 

There's no point hunting if there's no kill.
At St. Aidan the Great School, or S.T.A.G.S., new things--and new people--are to be avoided. Unfortunately, Greer MacDonald, token scholarship student, is very much a new person. She has just transferred to S.T.A.G.S., and finds herself ignored at best and mocked at worst by the school's most admired circle of friends, the Medievals.
So imagine Greer's surprise when this very group invites her to an exclusive weekend retreat at the private estate of the parents of their unofficial leader, Henry de Warlencourt. It's billed as a weekend of "huntin' shootin' fishin'," and rumor has it that the invitee who most impresses the group will be given the privilege of becoming a Medieval themselves.
As the weekend begins to take shape, however, it becomes apparent that beyond the luxurious trappings--the fancy clothes the maid lays out on Greer's bed, the elaborate multicourse dinners held in the Great Hall--there are predators lurking, and they're out for blood. . . .
What made me pick this book up: 
The cover was really pretty and it definitely made me want to read it. Also the little snippet it has on the front "One Deadly Weekend" I like death, and weekends.

What did I like about the cover: 
I like the cover with the chair that has the target on it the best. It looks so pretty and regal. I don't care much for the other one.

What made me read this book: 
Of course the synopsis sounded great. Also it matched for a task.This is one of those that I saw before it came out and just had to read it.

What did I like the most: 
I liked the idea of it the most I think. A weekend away with a bunch of strangers, and it turns deadly? Oh yeah, sounds like every slasher book I love. 

The characters were okay. I did like Shafeen a lot too. He seemed nice and really cared. 

The story could have been better. 

And I liked the accent of the narrator. Though it made me have to listen at a slow speed.

What didn't I like: 
All the rest of the characters. I felt like I couldn't really connect to them.

The main character talks about how awful Henry is, but there was nothing that really... showed how awful he was. I'm trying to explain what I mean without giving too much away.  What I'm trying to say is there is no line between him being good and him being awful. Yes, he's doing is awful. But there's no clear point where all of the sudden you're like, yes he is awful.

I also don't feel like there was much surprise to the book. It was so anti climactic and just wasn't as thrilling as I was hoping or as it could have been. Everything that happens comes to zero surprise and it's just kind of... meh. 

I was expecting so much more from this book and it just didn't happen.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I would definitely try one more book by her. Maybe it's just a one off chance that it was slow. 





Meh. Just meh. I was hoping for so much more. But I had no connection to this book.


“The hunter…became the hunted,” she translated haltingly. “The hounds…were struck with a wolf’s frenzy…and tore him to pieces as they would a stag.” ― M.A. BennettS.T.A.G.S.


Pretty Wicked (Pretty Wicked, #1)The CabinCovertThe Thing About Scorpions (Scorpions, #1)Black Ice



M. A. Bennett is half Venetian and was born in Manchester, England, and raised in the Yorkshire Dales. She is a history graduate of Oxford University and the University of Venice, where she specialized in the study of Shakespeare’s plays as a historical source. After university she studied art and has since worked as an illustrator, an actress, and a film reviewer. She also designed tour visuals for rock bands, including U2 and the Rolling Stones. She was married on the Grand Canal in Venice and lives in north London with her husband, son, and daughter.


3 comments:

  1. I also like death and weekends, haha. :) Bummer this one didn't work out, though! I've been sort of interested in it, but haven't heard too much about it. Sounds like maybe it's one I don't need to run out and grab. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of people seem to hate the characters, that is unfortunate, was looking forward to this

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's always complicated when you can't connect...

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs