Thursday, January 9, 2020

It's Graphic Time: The Backstagers Vol. 1 Rebel Without Applause by James Tynion IV


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without ApplauseTitle: Rebel Without Applause
Author: James Tynion IV 
Illustrator: Rian Sygh
Publisher: Boom! Box 
Publishing Date: July 25th, 2017
Pages: 112
Genre: YA Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: The Backstagers Vol. 1
Source: Book
 

All the world's a stage . . . but what happens behind the curtain is pure magic literally!

When Jory transfers to an all-boys private high school, he's taken in by the only ones who don't treat him like a new kid, the lowly stage crew known as the Backstagers. Not only does he gain great, lifetime friends, Jory is also introduced to an entire magical world that lives beyond the curtain. With the unpredictable twists and turns of the underground world, the Backstagers venture into the unknown, determined to put together the best play their high school has ever seen.

James Tynion IV (Detective Comics, The Woods) teams up with artist Rian Sygh (Munchkin, Stolen Forest) for an incredibly earnest story that explores what it means to find a place to fit in when you're kinda an outcast.
Collects the first four issues.
What made me pick this book up: 
It was under suggested related to another book I read that I loved. And the colors were adorable and I loved the cover. 

What did I like about the cover: 
It's so cute and bright and fun and the colors are amazing. 

What made me read this book: 
I really love those cute/weird/teeny bop contemporary type books. I don't know why but I love them.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
YES.




Just look at it! It's so swoon worthy! The colors are pretty together. Very pastel goth looking with just a bit of kawaii in there. Oh man it's 2 AM and I'm writing this review. Bear with me.

Anyway. I love the artwork, it's cute and just makes this graphic novel a thousand times better.






I love these characters! They're all so fun and have such huge personalities that I love them all.

My favorite being Sasha. I feel like the tiny cute one is always my favorite... Sasha... Ripley from Lumberjanes... Betty from Rat Queens. 
I don't have a second favorite. They all kind of line up together after that, except for the McQueen brothers. I kinda can't stand them. And they don't get any better as far as I can tell.







It's one of those constant BAM BAM BAM to where all the sudden... the book is done. And then I get sad. Because I just want to keep reading it. It doesn't slow down and it kind of fits the book. 




This is the first book in the series so it is just a building block for the rest of the series. It's kind of weird, because the backstagers, the ones who work backstage, have a room that takes them into a million different... rooms. It's definitely weird and at first I was like... Okaaaay. But now I totally love the idea and I can't wait to read more about all the different magical rooms!




Overall definitely a really great read. Highly suggest.





Goldie Vance Vol. 1Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)Jonesy, Vol. 1Power Up


Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman Annual #1, which was also co-plotted by Snyder. Beginning in September 2012, with DC's 0 issue month for the New 52, Tynion will be writing Talon, with art by Guillem March. In early 2013 it was announced that he'd take over writing duties for Red Hood and the Outlaws in April.

Tynion is also currently one of the writers in a rotating team in the weekly Batman Eternal series.



1 comment:

  1. i haven't read graphic novels in a long time. seems this is a week for sharing them and your review makes me wonder if it's time to pick them up again
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs