Monday, July 9, 2018

Bookish Banter: All About MG

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

This bookish banter is all about middle grade books. Do you read them? Do you not? What's your favorite that you have read?

Ash-


I like some middle-grade books. I've read some really great ones, and there are more that have caught my eye.
Image result for ooh gif



Sometimes I just need the simple books to read. And sometimes the middle-grade books are even more than my young adult books are!

Those ones I really don't understand what qualifies them as middle-grade?

Related image



Anyway! Here's a list of some of my favorite middle-grade books I've read. (I guess some of these I consider MG, but they're not?)
PeevesThe Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Giver (The Giver, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #1)Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie



Jenn-
I don’t tend to read many middle-grade books. I have read a few that I have enjoyed very much but for the most part, I don’t favor them.
The ones I have really liked are:


The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)This Journal Belongs to RatchetHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #1)The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)Wonder (Wonder, #1)CandlewaxSee You at Harry'sChomp


I find most of them I really like are the contemporary ones that really focus on friendship and family.


I think the problems I find with middle grade… especially in fantasy, is that they focus more on plot and story and less on character relationships. I am totally a character relationship kind of reader. I prefer the character development and growth in their relationships more than I plots or stories. If the book is done well with character growth within oneself I am good with that too.

I find I get bored with most middle-grade fantasy. There are few as mentioned above.

My hubby loves middle-grade fantasy and really he reads mostly middle-grade fantasy and adult fantasy. He reads less YA. I really would love more Middle-grade reviews on this blog so if I can just get my hubby to read faster, there would be a great amount of MG reviews.


      

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy some good middle grade now and then! I often use middle grade as might 'night' reads since I usually read a different book from anything to read before bed. I'm actually planning on picking up The False Prince sometime soon, so I'm glad to see it on your list. Harry Potter and ASOUE are of course wonderful classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading some really amazing middle grades books lately. Wonder is just amazing, but Flipped won my heart and just saying the name of the book evokes strong and wonderful feelings. Kasey & Ivy was another one that comes to mind, which was so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read quite a bit of Middle Grade because I'm always looking for easier content for our adult literacy tutees that will still be interesting for them. I do enjoy it for myself, too. A lot of people say they read fluffy Contemporary as a palate cleanser, but I prefer to read MGs for that. 😊

    I loved Harry Potter, of course, Wonder, and The Giver. I have Stargirl on my Kindle, I need to read it. 📚

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs