Saturday, February 9, 2019

It's Graphic Time: iZombie: Dead to the World by Chris Roberson











iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the WorldTitle: izombie: Dead to the World

Author:  Chris Roberson
Publisher: Vertigo
Publishing Date:  January 1st,  2010
Pages: 144
Genre: Horror Graphic Novel
Series:  izombie #1 (issues 1-5)

 

Told from a female zombie’s perspective, this smart, witty detective series mixes urban fantasy and romantic dramedy.

Gwendolyn “Gwen” Dylan is a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery. Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person – until she eats her next brain. She sets out to fulfill the dead person’s last request, solve a crime or right a wrong.

Our zombie girl detective is joined by a radical supporting cast: her best friend Eleanor, who happens to be a swinging ’60s ghost, a posse of paintball blasting vampires, a smitten were-dog and a hot but demented mummy.



So I wanted to read this comic since I started watching the show years ago. Finally got the graphic novel for Christmas. I really really enjoyed this novel. I didn't know much going into it but I knew it was about a Zombie that ate brains. 


In this story, Gwen is a zombie that works with as a gravedigger. This enables her to eat the brains she needs to keep from turning into a creature that only lives to feed the hunger. When she eats brains, she can act, think, and live (for the most part) as she did when she was human. 

Gwen is also friends with a ghost and a were-terrier. Yes a were-terrier. So cute. In the beginning of the story we see their lives together and separate. We don't know why or how they became what they are, but they are living life.

Things get weird as vampires enter the mix and a strange dude that seems to be the murderer of the latest brain Gwen has devoured. This is where the story takes off and we find out a little more of what Gwen really is. 

The other story lines going on is with the vampires. The vampires are causing havoc but not too badly but they are discovered by these evil creature hunters and are now being hunted.... which doesn't seem too bad. As a reader I am not attached to any of these vampires... but what do these hunters mean for Gwen and her were-terrier friend... oh and to make things more chaotic... Gwen and one of these creature hunters... kind of crush on each other. 

So that is the gist of the first volume of izombie... now for my thoughts. 


I am new to graphic novels. Really the only ones I have read are walking dead. So not much to compare to. But I was really excited to finally read this one and I was not disappointed. The story was very fun to follow. I was invested. I didn't know where any of it was going.... except for vampires being slayed..... I loved the characters. They are all very quirky, stand on their own, and I am already attached to Gwen and her ghostly friend.  The art is fun and vibrant and very nice to look at. The book ended and I felt satisfied with what I knew but also had the desire to pick up the next volume...which thankfully I have.  No complaints. I really loved this graphic novel. 

I think I am going to fall in love with Gwen. Its hard to really see character development in the first issues. There isn't a whole lot to build them... as its building the story. But I do like her. She is fun and sweet. She just wants to be a good zombie. With the brains she eats she gets visions of the persons life and death. So she finds herself wanting to help those that died in horrific ways. I kind of like that. I hope to see more brain eating in the future installments. I also hope to really get to know the other characters as well. 

As the story goes. I like that there are multiple arcs that the book is following but yet they kind of blur into each other too. I like the vampire and the hunter side a bit better.  The story with Gwen and her origins is a little slow on the start. It is interesting though.. just didn't get enough of it before the book ended. I do need more answers to give an accurate assessment. Which I will hopefully have soon, since I have the next book. 

There really isn't romance yet in this story... but there is a spark starting. But it isn't the best relationship for Gwen since she is a zombie and he is a creature hunter. I do hope though they find a way to have some love in their lives.. It will be a very intriguing aspect in this story. Yes give me some forbidden love. 

The comic is pretty clean and I think that 14+ would be a great age for this graphic novel. What I have seen so far... nothing here too disturbing for the high school crowd. 



This graphic novel was very loved and this series I am sure will be a favorite of mine! 





Author: Chris Roberson is the co-creator with artist Michael Allred of iZombie, the basis of the hit CW television series, and the writer of several New York Times best-selling Cinderella miniseries set in the world of Bill Willingham’s Fables. He is also the co-creator of Edison Rex with artist Dennis Culver, and the co-writer of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D, Witchfinder, Rise of the Black Flame, and other titles set in the world of Mike Mignola’s Hellboy. In addition to his numerous comics projects, Roberson has written more than a dozen novels and three dozen short stories, and has been a finalist for the World Fantasy Award four times; twice a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer; three times a finalist for the Eisner Awards; and has won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History in both the Short Form and Novel categories. He lives with a teenager, two cats, and far too many books in Portland, Oregon.

Mike AllredLaura Allred


Illistrator: Michael 'Doc' Allred (Also Credited as M. Dalton Allred) grew up in the 60's and 70's and was surrounded with the best in pop culture and a steady diet of music, movies and comic books including the three B's: Beatles, Bond and Batman to the point of obsession.
So it should come as no surprise that he keeps a hand in film and music (He's the lead singer and guitarist for The Gear), but comic books have always been a seminal source of joy for Mike and that joy remains the main ingredient in most of his work.

Allred first tasted success in the comics field with his wildly popular MADMAN series, which is currently being developed for a live action film with filmmaker Robert Rodriguez. His earlier work from GRAFIK MUZIK was turned into the cult hit movie G-Men from Hell directed by Christopher Coppola (featuring Robert Goulet as the Devil). Other work includes Red Rocket 7, his history of Rock and Roll told in the context of a sci-fi adventure storyl the Madman spin-off THE ATOMICS and his magnum opus, THE GOLDEN PLATES, where he's illustrating the entire Book of Mormon.

Mike counts the secret to his success to be his wife, and creative partner, Laura Allred, who is is considered to be one of the best colorists in the business.






2 comments:

  1. I've seen this around, but it never really piqued my interest. I watched The Walking Dead when it first came out, but grew board after a few seasons. Zombies just don't do it for me! However, have you read The Forest of Hands and Teeth? It's by Carrie Ryan, and it's my favorite zombie story! It's also super spooky. I am curious about the were-terrier, and how that works...

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the tv show so it's awesome to see the comic books being reviewed :D they look like the art would be fun and exciting. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs