Thursday, March 29, 2018

Review: Would Be Witch by Kimberly Frost


Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch #1)Title: Would Be Witch
Author:  Kimblery Frost
Publisher: Berkley 
Publishing Date:  Jnauary 17th, 2009
Pages: 304
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series:  Southern Witch #1
Source: Audio
 

The family magic seems to have skipped over Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets are a few untimely visits from long-dead, smart-mouthed family ghost Edie. But when her locket-an heirloom that happens to hold Edie's soul-is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it's time for Tammy to find her inner witch.
After a few experiences with her dysfunctional magic, Tammy turns to the only person in small-town Duval, Texas, who can help: the very rich and highly magical Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers-and a 007 savoir faire to boot-but the locket isn't the only heirloom passed down in Tammy's family. She also inherited a warning: stay away from Lyons.


First I want to say that I used the more current cover because they changed them after about the 3rd book. I actually prefer the original covers. I feel they match the story and character better.  I wish they wouldn't have changed them. I was really in the mood for a funny and clever paranormal mystery. I have had this one on my TBR list for a while and decided to give it listen. I wasn't very impressed with it. There were elements I liked and I didn't not enjoy it but I think there was more potential than actual good to this book. 
Tammy Jo is a would be witch. She comes from a family of witches but didn't seem to inherit any magic. One night at a party, there is a robbery and her locket is stolen. This locket is important because it was a family heirloom and because it was an anchor to her ghost friend. This robbery is just the beginning of her world getting turned upside down. The town falls into a sleep, there are werewolves attacking her and other witches, and a warlock her mother told her to stay away just happens to be in the mix of it all. 

So my thoughts. I really had high hopes for this book. I am still undecided on what to rate the book. I hope by the time I am done with this review I will have some idea what I want to rate the book. 

There were things I liked about the book. The story wasn't bad. I liked the witchy stuff, the paranormal stuff, the ghost, the locket, the crimes, all the action and the trouble the town was in. I liked the pace too. It was very fast paced and really didn't have time to breathe before the next thing happened. There was a really cool cat int he book that I absolutely adored and few characters I liked. Well really just one, and he wasn't a big part of the story. 

The characters is where I had the most trouble. Tammy Jo would of been okay of character if she had some brains and some dignity. I hated absolutely hated how she allowed her on again off again ex husband boyfriend treat her. I mean he was just mean, controlling, and such an idiot. She thought his overbearing was just being protective. I saw it as jerk moves and a bit possessive. The one guy that treated her better... but not good all the time either was the guy she tries to stay away from. 

Lyons, the one she is supposed to stay away from is trying to help her. Her mother is long gone and why in the world Tammy Jo feels the need to listen to warning about this guy from a long gone mom without any explanation why is beyond me. So this bugged me most about Tammy Jo. She had no common sense and no self respect. She needs to figure out the guy she is with is worthless int he romance and love department and get out of dodge. 

The three main characters I just didn't like at all. I think if Tammy Jo smarts up a little, I could start to like her. Lyons may have a chance too... but the boyfriend, um no. 

I loved the fact that this takes place in Texas but I feel they used that to try and make cliche southern characters. I live in Texas and yes we have some issues here but none like these characters had. I loved hearing about Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and New Braunfels though. All places I hold dear to my heart. 

The writing wasn't bad but it was more on the simple side.Not to in depth or descriptive at all. It was a fast read and like I said the pace was good and I really liked the mystery and the action. 

So where does that leave me. Still not sure. I may one day try one more and see if it gets better cause I am curious.... but I am in no rush to get back to these characters. 


Not a book with well written characters but an entertaining story. Unfortunately the characters brought the rating down for me. 







I have always had a big imagination. I wrote fan fiction before there was such a thing, and writing was my #1 childhood hobby and obsession. As an adult, I decided that I'd like a bigger audience than just me and my best friend.
My humorous fantasy, Would-Be Witch, was published by the Berkley Publishing group in February 2009. Since then, 5 more stories in the Southern Witch series have been released: Barely Bewitched, Halfway Hexed, Magical Misfire, Slightly Spellbound, and Casually Cursed.
I also created a paranormal romantic suspense series featuring archangels, human-vampire half-breeds, and descendants of the ancient muses. The first story in the “Etherlin” series was “First Light” which was part of a multi-author holiday anthology called TIED WITH A BOW. The anthology hit #23 on the New York Times Trade Fiction Bestseller List.

The first novel in the series All That Bleeds (January 3, 2012) was a Barnes & Noble “Must Read” romance for January. The sequel, All That Falls, was released in June 2012 and was a finalist for the Colorado Romance Writers’ Award of Excellence.
An electronic novella Magical Misfire was released in April 2014 in which Tammy Jo travels to Galveston to meet the ghost of Victorian era prostitute so she can put right a spell gone wrong. In May 2014, Southern Witch Book #4 Slightly Spellbound came out and was a Romantic Times Top Pick. In February 2015, Southern Witch Book #5, Casually Cursed was released and was another recommended read.
If you’d like to be part of my community of readers, please sign up for my newsletter by clicking the tab at the top. (The details of contests and new releases will be sent first to subscribers.) You can also follow me via my FB author page or on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs