Monday, March 19, 2018

I Read That Movie: The Woman in Black

I  read that movie is a feature where we compare movies or TV series, and the books they're based on.


The Woman in Black by Susan Hill



The Woman in BlackTitle: The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Publisher: Vintage 
Publishing Date: October 10th, 1983
Pages: 200
Length of Audio: 4 Hours and 36 Minutes
Genre: Classic Gothic Horror
Series: The Woman in Black
Source: Audio
 

Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor in London, is summoned to Crythin Gifford to attend the funeral of Mrs Alice Drablow, and to sort through her papers before returning to London. It is here that Kipps first sees the woman in black and begins to gain an impression of the mystery surrounding her. From the funeral he travels to Eel Marsh House and sees the woman again; he also hears the terrifying sounds on the marsh.
Despite Kipps’s experiences he resolves to spend the night at the house and fulfil his professional duty. It is this night at Eel Marsh House that contains the greatest horror for Kipps. Kipps later discovers the reasons behind the hauntings at Eel Marsh House. The book ends with the woman in black exacting a final, terrible revenge.

Mini review:

What made me read this book: 
I saw the movie in theaters with my then boyfriend, years ago. It was a really creepy movie. And one of my friends, who let's me use her audible, had it on audio. So I decided it was time. Oh and it matched a task.

What did I like the most: 
I liked hearing the differences in the book and the movie. The book is, of course, longer. So you get more of a feel for what he went through, and more of a back story.

What didn't I like: 
It was incredibly slow. So so so slow. I found myself day dreaming a lot during it. It wasn't nearly as creepy as the movie either. I felt myself just wanting to hurry up and get it done with.



The Woman in Black PosterRelease Date: February 3rd, 2012
Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Roger Allam, Ciaran Hinds
Series: First in series


A young solicitor travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals.


Mini Review:
This is one of my all time favorite horror movies. Like I said, I saw it years ago, and it scared me just as much watching it now, as it did the first time. The jump scares are real.

Let's compare:
Did I see the movie or read the book first?
I saw the movie first

Like the movie or the book better?
I feel like the movie is so much better. The book didn't feel creepy at all to me, and I tried I really did, to get as immersed into the book as I did the movie. I think with horror there is such a difference on screen, than on pages. 

How does it compare?
There are quite a bit of differences between the movie and the book. But the main story is the same. About a woman who dies, after her son does, and her haunting and killing children.

Do the actors match the characters in the book?
I could not picture the characters in the book. I think that's the hardest part about the book, I couldn't place myself there. I did try picturing Daniel Radcliffe the entire book, but I couldn't even do that.

Major differences?
I can't really go over too many major differences without being huge spoilers. The biggest one I can tell y'all is that at the beginning, he is much older, married, and has children. They ask him to tell a scary story, in which he freaks out, and decides to write down what happened, with the woman in black. Unlike in the movie, he is young, his wife has just died, and it's as it's happening instead of as a story.

Fun Facts?
The original novel by Susan Hill gave rise to a film adaptation by Hammer Horror in 2012, which in turn led to an original sequel which was novelised by a different author. - Found on Goodreads

1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs