Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: April 23rd, 2013
Pages: 336
Audio Length: 
Genre: YA Dystopian Romance
TW: N/A
Series: The Selection
Source: Book
 
Barnes & Noble IndieBound Book Depository | Kobo

The Selection began with thirty-five girls.Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?
America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.
What made me pick this book up: 
I read the first one and really enjoyed it.

What did I like about the cover: 
All the covers on the Selection series are amazing. They're so beautiful with the dresses and the colors. I think this one is my least favorite though.

What made me read this book: 
Like I said, I read the first one and I loved it. So I needed to read the second.

What did I like the most: 
I absolutely love the story for this. I mean, the castes suck, and the selection itself sucks. 

But the love story I absolutely love. And I think that's the thing that keeps me coming back. No matter how bad the characters are, every time I read about America and Maxon together, it just makes my heart happy. 

Marlee is my favorite character, by far. She's so sweet. And I really like America's maids. Maxon isn't bad himself. 

The writing is okay, it's not the best I've read but there are a lot of sweet moments in it.

I like reading the back story too, about how the castes came about, and about the rebels. I think it makes it so much more than a romance.

What didn't I like: 
America. She is way too back and forth. I want Maxon, no I want Aspen, I love Aspen, no I love Maxon.

The back and forth between Maxon and America is just too much sometimes. The three books could have been cut down if it was just less yes and no. 

And the whole thing with Aspen. I was over that as soon as it started.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
As much as I hate the back and forth. But I keep coming back to it, and I always enjoy it when I'm reading it. 




It's still a really good story. And I enjoy the romance.











“It wasn’t like I made his world better. It was like I was his world. It wasn’t some explosion; it wasn’t fireworks. It was a fire, burning slowly from the inside out.” 
― Kiera CassThe Elite

The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)Matched (Matched, #1)Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)

100 Things I Love:
Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound of water. Making videos. Buttons. The word Episcopalian. Making people laugh. Layering clothes. British accents. Pinterest. Animation. Fireworks. The smell of the Ocean. My wedding rings. Aprons. Reasons to get dressed up. Sex. Pop music. Stars. Taking walks. Daydreaming. Stickers. School Spirit. My friends. Living in a small town. Japan. Singing. Painting my toenails. Pranks/ practical jokes. Painting. Stretch canvas. Costumes. Dipping my fingers in melted wax. Style. Soda. Spending an hour typing at a coffee shop. Musicals. Back to school season. Mopeds. Good hair days. Naps. Not walking up but looking at a beautiful staircase. Driving alone. My ankles. Playlists. Spending entire days in pajamas. Holidays. Telling stories. Spontaneity. Theme parks. Bookshelves. The word copacetic. Boxes. Empty journals. Surprises. Doing things in groups. Doing things alone. Getting real mail. Decorating. Small forks. A good hug. Gift cards. New Years Goals. Going out to dinner. When someone else remembers some great story about me/us that I’ve forgotten. Toy stores. Fireplaces. Breakfast foods. Journaling. Crying for a good reason. Doorbells. Pointless adventures. Voting. My birthday. Reasons to make wishes. Recycling.




3 comments:

  1. I know tons of people who love this series and love the triangle. I only managed the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book covers are gorgeous but I can't be doing with love triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book when I first read it! Now, I get what you mean about America's indecisiveness, but I'd do anything to read this series for the first time again!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs