Friday, August 3, 2018

Author Interview: Peadar O Guilin



First let's get to know a little bit about what makes you, you..
Where are you from?

I grew up in Donegal, a wild and beautiful part of Ireland. It also happens to be the place my heroine comes from.


Is your name a pen name? If so what inspired you to pick that name?

I’m Peadar. It’s what’s on my passport :)


3 facts about yourself?

I’m left-handed. I speak Italian. I make more of my living from computers than I do from writing.


What are some of your favorite things in general? (Food, shows, movies, anything you want to share with us)

I love listening to podcasts. I’m fascinated by ancient societies and weird languages. Science Fiction is brilliant, as is anything that takes me away from the here and now.

Now let's talk about you as an author...
When did you start writing and what was the first thing you ever wrote?

I was five years old. I drew a stick figure on a piece of paper, and underneath, I wrote:

This is a man. He is a bad man. Now he is dead.

My first publication was a short story in a journal at my university in Galway. My first novel was about cannibals and aliens. It was called, The Inferior.


What inspired you to start writing?

We had a house full of books and both my parents were readers. It was just as natural to me as doodling or climbing trees.


What is your writing process? Do you make a timeline first? Or just write what comes to your mind? Do you do a lot of research?

I write whatever comes into my head, but a lot of thinking and daydreaming goes on throughout the whole process. When I get stuck, I take a long walk and work my way through the problem. People who plan their work, probably write much more quickly than I do!


What are some of your favorite authors/favorite reads?

Lately, I’ve loved N.K. Jemisin, but who hasn’t? Anybody who enjoys a bit of dark worldbuilding should probably check out her book, “The Fifth Season”. I love George R. R. Martin, of course, especially his short stories.

What do you have planned for the future? Any other book or series ideas?
Oh, yes! My mind is buzzing with new ideas at the moment and they’re all fighting for the right to be next onto the page. I have an exciting dark fantasy adventure with my agent that we’re about to start shopping around. Unfortunately, we’re still trying to come up with a title to do it justice.


I picked up an ARC of The Call years ago when I went to BEA. And I fell in love with that book. Every time someone asks what's a book I was really surprised by how much I loved I always say The Call! I can't wait to read the second book.

Where did you get the idea for The Call?


Thank you!

The main idea, came to me when I was out for a walk. I imagined a room full of people, and wondered what would happen if one of them just disappeared, leaving their clothing on the floor. I was so excited by this simple image that I didn’t calm down for days, because I knew there was a good story to be had from it.


Which book was your favorite to write?

The Call. Without a doubt. That one came to me very easily for some reason.
Do you have any favorite characters?

Of my own characters, I love Nessa, of course. Because she so desperately wants to live. And because she won’t give up. But Megan is my favourite. She says all the naughty things. I wish I was like that.
Is there any chance that this book would become a movie? Or a tv series?

There is a chance, for sure. But it has already been turned down a few times for being too dark.



About Peadar found on his website:


Irish writer Peadar Ó Guilín is the author of the YA novel, The Call, inspired by the beautiful northwest of Ireland where he grew up. The Invasion, a sequel to The Call and the end of the duology, was published in March 2018.


In September 2007, Peadar published his first novel, The Inferior, which the Times Educational Supplement called "a stark, dark tale, written with great energy and confidence and some arresting reflections on human nature." Foreign editors liked it too, and over the coming year it is to be translated into eight languages, including Japanese and Korean.

His fantasy and SF short stories have appeared in numerous venues, including Black Gate magazine and an anthology celebrating the best of the iconic Weird Tales.

Peadar is represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency.
Movie rights for The Call are handled by Caitlin Friedman of Scholastic Entertainment Inc.

Pronounce Peadar's Name -- Like a pro!

Peadar rhymes with "blather", or "ladder". Either is fine by me!

Ó is pronounced like "Oh"

Guil -- is pronounced like the "gill" of a fish.

Ín is pronounced like "een" and rhymes with "bean".
And so, we have: Padder Oh Gilleen. Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs