Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalo

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)Title: Stalking Jack The Ripper 
Author:  Kerri Maniscalco
Publisher: Jimmy Patterson
Publishing Date:  September 20th, 2016
Pages: 326
Genre: Historical Fiction Horror Thriller
Series:  Stalking Jack the Ripper #1
Source:  Audio
 

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.

I read this book a while back and never reviewed it. How horrible of me. Well I recently read the 3rd book, Escaping Houdini and decided I need to review all these. I will do my best to get out my full feelings I had at the time of the read. I really enjoyed this book. I pretty much knew I would.. I loved it from the moment I saw the cover. The cover is gorgeous, the blurb drew me in, the title was so enticing. I knew this was my kind of book. Everything about it screamed my name. I did enjoy it so much. 


Audrey Rose is a young lady who lives in a society that doesn't accept women in the the field of work that Audrey Rose loves. Not only does being a woman count against her but her place in society also works against her. She wants to study forensics, death, and murder. She is intrigued with the science of the the physical body. Her uncle is a forensic pathologist and takes Audrey Rose on as an apprentice. Of course this happens during the time of Jack the Ripper, so Audrey gets to see all the gruesome things. With the help of her uncle's other apprentice, Thomas Creswell, she goes out to solve the murders. 



There was so much to like about this book.  The mystery was a good one. I love Jack the Ripper stories. What draws me to them is the fact they were so gruesome and so unsolved. So really the authors can take liberties with what actually happened. This author did just that. I loved the way the story was weaved into Audrey Rose's life. The murders, the suspects, and even the perpetrator. Yes in this book it is solved... well for the most part.  So I do like that the author didn't shy away from putting her own spin onto the story. There were also elements of other classics in this book... which I will not name as I don't want to give it away. 

The characters were a bright star in this book. I am just going to say that Audrey Rose is one of my all time favorite book characters ever. She is smart... so smart, brave, independent, defiant when needed, spunky, and so loyal to those she loves. She also has a great respect for what is morally right and morally wrong. In fact seeing her struggle with this makes her so much more for me. I just loved her. 

There is also Thomas Creswell. He just melts my heart. He is so lovable but in the same breath he is so annoying. He is frustrating but cute. He is smart but dumb. He is a waling enigma... but I love him so much. He just adds so much to the story. 

The romance is just starting in the first book and the romance is so good. It starts off as a slow burn and I know it will just continue to get better. The chemistry between Thomas and Audrey Rose is so palpable. There is only flirting int his book but oh is it good. 

The author also does a great job with the historical aspect. The setting, the tone, the clothing, the characters. All just felt so real for the time it takes places. I am really picky on my historical fictions and this one was just right. 

I think the only issue I had with this book is the pacing. At times I couldn't put it down but there were other times it seemed a little slow. It was so worth getting through. I loved it. 



If you have not read this you need too. If you love historical, mystery , Jack the Ripper stories, great chemistry, forensic science... just read this book. 





Kerri Maniscalco


I'm mostly on instagram and twitter--where I'm always ready to talk fictional crushes and nerd out over books. (Okay, okay. And I've also been known to share snippets and teasers from my upcoming novels, if you're into that sort of thing...) Please feel free to chat with me there @KerriManiscalco. I love talking with fellow readers!


Kerri Maniscalco grew up in a semi-haunted house outside NYC where her fascination with gothic settings began. In her spare time she reads everything she can get her hands on, cooks all kinds of food with her family and friends, and dr
inks entirely too much tea while discussing life’s finer points with her cats.

5 comments:

  1. This is one series that I see over and over, on so many Top Ten Tuesdays and Stacking the Shelves and countless other blogs being reviewed. I love the premise and I think I would like them. The one thing holding me back is the whole 'James Patterson Presents' thing. I realize he is not the author but ugh he is the worst. That being said, I will probably read them at some point anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Stalking Jack the Ripper when I read it so I'm glad to see it was a great read for you. I love the chemistry between Audrey Rose and Thomas Cresswell so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad it’s a good mystery with compelling characters. I have this book sitting on my shelf, but I haven’t read it yet.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to get started on this series! It sounds so amazing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get to this one soon!! I keep hearing great things!

    Erica | Erica Robyn Reads

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs