Monday, February 4, 2019

Review: And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness

And the Ocean Was Our SkyTitle: And the Ocean Was Our Sky
Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher: Walker Books
Publishing Date: September 4th, 2018
Pages: 160 
Audio Length: 2 Hours
Genre: YA Fantasy
TW: Death, some bloody violence
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
 

With harpoons strapped to their backs, the proud whales of Bathsheba's pod live for the hunt, fighting in the ongoing war against the world of men. When they attack a ship bobbing on the surface of the Abyss, they expect to find easy prey. Instead, they find the trail of a myth, a monster, perhaps the devil himself...
As their relentless Captain leads the chase, they embark on a final, vengeful hunt, one that will forever change the worlds of both whales and men.
What made me pick this book up: 
The cover was interesting to me. I love the color pop of the red (Come to find out it's blood. Yikes). And I love the whale and the ship.

What did I like about the cover: 
Everything. I love that it looks like a painting, the color pop, the whale and the ship. 

What made me read this book: 
Honestly? I didn't really read what it was about too well. I like pirate books and I kind of, assumed... that it was a pirate book. It looks like a pirate book!

What did I like the most: 
Oh boy. I didn't like this book. I was so very confused when I started listening to it. I was literally thinking "Is this about whales? Am I listening to this from the whales point of views?" So I went back and read the synopsis a bit more carefully, and lo and behold it's whales.

The book is written really well. I could definitely picture everything going on. It was written to a point where I felt like I was there, in the ocean, watching these whales kill people and other whales.

That is literally the only thing I like, that is why I rated it a two star, because it was written really well. 

What didn't I like: 
Okay so... I didn't like this book. I really didn't. I listened to it, and apparently it has illustrations? I'm hoping that maybe that helps it be a better book... I don't know. 

Let's start with the beginning. I was absolutely so confused. That is on me, but it even started kind of weird. I'm going to be honest, I don't remember the beginning, but I do remember thinking "Well, this is kind of weird..."

Next thing, this is from the point of view of a freaking whale. A. Whale. Which sounds like it might be awesome... for a kids book. Not a young adult book. I would think this would be a great book for under 12. 

Except it's super violent. Whales killing whales, humans killing whales, lots of blood and very graphic.

So not a book for under 12. So why write a book where whales are the main characters and make it violent?

To me it simply does not make sense.

The story is weird. The whole going after someone who might be fictional? Someone who supposedly killed the main whales mother? That's fine, but then you find out what the someone is. AND IT'S WEIRD.

The whole book is weird. It's very short and that's the only saving point, besides the fact that, like I said, it was written and the describing in the book is done really well.

That's it. I would not recommend this book to anyone. It was a waste of time completely.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I always give an author two chances. Sometimes even three. That being said, I would try at least one more book by this author. The writing is well done, but the story is weird. Weird weird weird.




This book was overall just really weird. I can't even describe how honestly weird it is.














“Will the world end in darkness because it is foretold? Or because there will be those who believe it so strongly they will make it so?” 
― Patrick Ness, And the Ocean Was Our Sky




Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Costa Children’s Book Award. Born in Virginia, he currently lives in London.

Born in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, The United States January 01, 1971
Website: http://www.patrickness.com
Twitter: Patrick_Ness
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy



6 comments:

  1. This one has been really intriguing to me. I haven't read any books by Patrick Ness so I have no idea what to expect from him, though this is one that sounds a bit odd. If I decide to check this one out I'll definitely just check it out from my library first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this one didn't work for you in audio version at all. It looks interesting so I can see why you picked it up. Hopefully your next read will be a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure does sound different. I can see why it left you scratching your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Ness, well his adult fantasy anyway. That cover is gorgeous. I am sorry this one wasn't for you, but hope you try him again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blame you for thinking this was a pirate book. It does look like a cover for one if you ask me. I've heard a lot of bloggers don't read synopsis' because they don't want to be spoiled considering there are books out there that outline everything in their synopsis so I definitely understand. Also, whales? This book is from a whales POV? That sure makes for one head scratcher of a book. I hope you have better luck with future books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don't read Ness any more. He's just, well... for want of a better word -- WEIRD. As you put it. Just not my thing. Makes me feel stupid when books get such high praise and high ratings and win awards and I just don't get it. I guess I'm too literal. Hopefully not too stupid ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs