Wednesday, February 20, 2019

It's Graphic Time! Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1 by James Tynion IV and Freddy Williams II

It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.




Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1Title: Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol.1 
Author: James Tynion IV
Illustrator: Freddy Williams II
Publisher: IDW/DC Comics
Publishing Date:  August 23, 2016
Pages: 176 
Genre: Superhero Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Source: Book 


DC Comics and IDW team up for the crossover event of the decade! Two of the most iconic entertainment icons meet for the first time in a tale that readers never imagined they would see. In Gotham City, a series of deadly raids leads Batman to believe he is up against a group of highly trained ninjas. As it turns out, the Foot Clan is on the loose. Somehow, they've crossed over to another dimension and are determined to take advantage of the situation while looking to get back home. But they haven't come alone: Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo are on their trail. Get ready for excitement as an assortment of characters from both worlds clash and team up in an epic battle that threatens the very fabric of reality! This new graphic novel collection, written by James Tynion IV (BATMAN) and illustrated by Freddie Williams II, collects BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1-6.


What made me pick this book up: 
Just the fact that it's a crossover with batman and the ninja turtles was good enough for me.

What did I like about the cover:
I like how intense it looks, it's certainly a great representation of the story.

What made me read this book: 
My curiosity of how they would tie in these two different worlds.


What did I like the most: 
The story was great but I'd have to say the artwork is the best part in this graphic novel. The images could tell the story by itself.

I really liked how many characters they included with the cross-over. Honestly Damian (Robin) was my favorite character. The turtles and Casey underestimated them. He totally could have kicked their asses if Batman didn't intervene. 

My favorite part had to have been the fight scene between Batman and all of the villains after they tool mutagen. It was great seeing them all together. 

This book definitely made me laugh out loud more than once. I loved reading about Michelangelo interacting with Alfred. I never knew that was something I would want to see. The best part was when Michelangelo called Alfred dude. He didn't care much for that.  

Also Batman eats pizza. Which isn't something you really see Batman doing. He smiles. It's awkward.

What didn't I like: 
There was nothing that I didn't really like.


Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Of course I would, I would like to see what other crossovers he has in mind.



The artwork is some of the best representation of batman and TMNT that I've seen.


All of the characters had the exact personalities I would expect them to have. Seeing Alfred's proper and well mannered character respond to Michelangelo's goofiness was something I'm glad they included.



The pace was just right not too slow but not too fast either, it was like if they put a Saturday cartoon into a book that would be it.


It was a creative way to have these worlds collide, there were match ups that I never would've thought I needed to see until I saw it.


This is a 5 star graphic novel, from the art work, the characters to the story itself I was hooked. Cant wait to read volume 2.







Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman Annual #1, which was also co-plotted by Snyder. Beginning in September 2012, with DC's 0 issue month for the New 52, Tynion will be writing Talon, with art by Guillem March. In early 2013 it was announced that he'd take over writing duties for Red Hood and the Outlaws in April.

Tynion is also currently one of the writers in a rotating team in the weekly Batman Eternal series.
Twitter: JamesTheFourth
Genre: Comics



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea they did crossovers of this type, ha ha! It's definitely something I'll have a look at. Thanks for the heads up. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs