Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Review: Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)Title: Club 
Author:  Kate Locke
Publisher: Orbit
Publishing Date:  November 12th, 2013
Pages: 320
Genre: Adult Paranormal Fantasy 
Series:  The Immortal Empire #3
Source:  Audio
 

Things between cocktail waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill seem to be going excellently (apart from the small matter of him being undead) until he leaves town for a while. A long while. Bill's sinister boss Eric has an idea of where to find him, whisking her off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. When she finally catches up with the errant vampire, he is in big trouble and caught in an act of serious betrayal. This raises serious doubts as to whether she should save him or start sharpening a few stakes of her own ..

I am slowly getting through this series. This was the third installment and as the others, I loved it! I don't think I will ever tire of these books. I am liking them more and more with each book. I do like that the story is getting more involved, the characters are getting more developed, the love story getting a but more tricky. Yup drama, humor, sexual tension, vampires, weres, and more. 


Sookie is left to fend for herself in this book while Bill goes and takes care of business in another state. Of course he gets himself in trouble... in more ways than one and its enough trouble to make Sookie second guess her relationship. 

There are some new characters and possibly more story lines coming from this installment including a very good looking and charming werewolf that I am slowly falling for. 

I really don't know much more to say about what happened in this book. We see more of  Eric, we see Bill being a douche, we meet a new werewolf. Yup that's it. 


I don't know why I love these books so much but I do. They are cheesy, there is nothing deep or soulful in these books but yet I love them.  I love the humor, I love the supernatural world, I love the sass, I love the fast pacing. I just love them. 

I am still not big on Sookie, she just is so dumb at times and really wishy washy... but she is growing on me. I can say one thing that is going for her, she is sweet and she is loyal. I think that is about it that keeps me from hating her. I like her better in the show, but I think I will like her more and more as time goes by in the books. I feels she is starting to become who she needs to be for the world she lives in. She is starting to get smarter and confident and self aware. She isn't there yet but she has come a long way since the first book. 

I really hate Bill in this book. I wasn't ever his biggest fan as I didn't get the swoon from him... so I am really happy he messed up big in this book. Unfortunately I know where the story is headed because of the show... but I am ready for the Eric and Alcide action. Sookie for sure needs to expand her horizons. 

I didn't care much for the story line in this one. I felt there wasn't much to it. It seemed to be a filler to open up the series for more plot lines. So I am happy with that. I still enjoyed reading the story and being a part of this world for just a bit. 


Good light read. Look forward to the next one. 






Charlaine Harris
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry and plays. After holding down some low-level jobs, her husband Hal gave her the opportunity to stay home and write. The resulting two stand-alones were published by Houghton Mifflin. After a child-producing sabbatical, Charlaine latched on to the trend of series, and soon had her own traditional mystery books about a Georgia librarian, Aurora Teagarden. Her first Teagarden, Real Murders, garnered an Agatha nomination.

Soon Charlaine was looking for another challenge, and the result was the much darker Lily Bard series. The books, set in Shakespeare, Arkansas, feature a heroine who has survived a terrible attack and is learning to live with its consequences.

When Charlaine began to realize that neither of those series was ever going to set the literary world on fire, she regrouped and decided to write the book she’d always wanted to write. Not a traditional mystery, nor yet pure science fiction or romance, Dead Until Dark broke genre boundaries to appeal to a wide audience of people who simply enjoy a good adventure. Each subsequent book about Sookie Stackhouse, telepathic Louisiana barmaid and friend to vampires, werewolves, and various other odd creatures, was very successful in many languages.

The Harper Connelly books were written concurrently with the Sookie novels.

Following the end of Sookie's recorded adventures, Charlaine wrote the "Midnight, Texas" books, which have become a television series, also. The Aurora Teagarden books have been adapted by Hallmark Movie & Mystery.

Charlaine is a member of many professional organizations, an Episcopalian, and currently the lucky houseparent to two rescue dogs. She lives on a cliff overlooking the Brazos River.


2 comments:

  1. I was really mad at how Bill treated Sookie! I love the characters of Eric and Pam though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't a Pam fan at first, but the further in the books I get, I just adore her. I love her loyalty and her sass.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs