Monday, February 18, 2019

Bookish Banter: Cover Candy... What's Your Flavor?

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

This Bookish Banter is all about book covers. What do you notice first? What do you like most? What don't you like? 


Jenn-

There are many things that draws me to covers. I judge a book by the cover so very hard. I mean what else  is supposed to draw us in. Who thought of that saying anyways. I mean there are so many times a book cover can make you walk away, not notice the book at all, decide never to read it, or the book cover can make you drool, pick up the book, pet the book, sniff the book, read the title, notice who wrote it, then finally read the synopsis... and if the cover is just beautiful enough... you may buy the book only after seeing the cover... or without intent of reading the book at all. Yes the cover has this much power. Now if only the publishers realized this. 

So what do I look for in a cover... well lots of things. 

  1. Titles that stand out
  2. Bright colors
  3. Artsy drawings 
  4. Beautiful color combinations 
  5. Cartooning and fun looking covers 
  6. Gorgeous Scenery
  7. Big Beautiful Bold Lettering 
  8. Spooky or creepy covers 
  9. Retro or vintage feel to the covers  
  10. Just all around beautiful for no other reason than it is just that!
What I don't like... really is just couples on the cover that looks like a snapshot of a very personal or cheesy or faked moment.... 




Here are some of my favorites of late..... 

Midnight Ice: A Mad for Mod Mystery (Madison Night Mystery Book 0)Pillow Stalk (Madison Night Mystery, #1)That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery, #2)With Vics You Get Eggroll (Mad for Mod Mystery, #3)The Decorator Who Knew Too Much (A Madison Night Mystery Book 4)The Pajama Frame (A Madison Night Mystery Book 5)Lover Come Hack (A Madison Night Mystery Book 6)

Beaches, Bungalows, and Burglaries (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #1)Deserts, Driving, & Derelicts (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #2)Forests, Fishing, & Forgery (A Camper & Criminals Cozy Mystery #3)Christmas, Criminals, and Campers (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #4)Motorhomes, Maps, & Murder (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #5)Canyons, Caravans, & Cadavers (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #6)

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1)Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2)Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3)

Deadly Sweet (The Spellwork Syndicate, #1)Sugar Spells (The Spellwork Syndicate, #2)

Just My LuckThe Geography of Lost ThingsA Little Bird Told Me


The Goodbye SummerPretty in PunxsutawneyI'm Not Missing

The Next to DieFollowingThe Lonely DeadEchoes




Ash-

We kind of went over this recently when we posted what makes you notice books on the shelf, but I thought it might be a bit of fun to kind of go even deeper in.

I love books that have color pop. I love my photography to have color pop. So of course I'd be interested in the books with it.

Color pop is when the image is black and white and then has a pop or two of color, usually the same color. Such as


The Statistical Probability of Love at First SightCampfireGoth Girl Rising (The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, #2)Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume OneI Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)

I also love books with lots of bright colors 

Splintered (Splintered, #1)Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)The Disenchantments

And blues/purples/pinks. Dreamy looking

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1)

And dark and creepy ones

Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)The ReplacementGraveminder (Graveminder, #1)And the Trees Crept InYou May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)

And some other ones I just love but can't categorize

Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)When My Heart Was WickedWither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)Harbinger


6 comments:

  1. I think we need more purple books. They are always so lovely. I also enjoy creepy book covers. It really set the tone for story. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love some beautiful and fun typography on book covers. I also love a unique book cover since sometimes I feel like we see the same things over and over. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with color, so I love it when covers feature bright colors. One of my favorite things lately is how it seems to be more common now to have covers with beautiful illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely covers! Texas Gothic is a great cover and a fun read from years back! Great post, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the use of bright colour-love pink and purple together, bright blue and green etc. I like pretty cover art that catches the eye with kickass men and women or scenic landscapes. I have a particular hatred of swooning women and half naked men on covers, close ups of vacant looking faces and a lack of imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bright colors and nature get my attention. I probably wouldn’t pick up a book that has two people gripping each other and staring intently into each other’s eyes. Nope. It looks so staged!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs