Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Review: We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

We Told Six LiesTitle:  We Told Six Lies
Author:  Victoria Scott
Publisher: Entangled Teen 
Publishing Date:  February 5th, 2019
Pages: 352
Genre: YA Psychological Thriller
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  ARC
 


Remember how many lies we told, Molly? It’s enough to make my head spin. You were wild when I met you, and I was mad for you. But then something happened. And now you’re gone.

But don’t worry. I’ll find you. I just need to sift through the story of us to get to where you might be. I’ve got places to look, and a list of names.

The police have a list of names, too. See now? There’s another lie. There is only one person they’re really looking at, Molly.

And that’s yours truly.


I have read a few other books by this author and this one sounded really good to me. A psychological thriller. This was a very fast read. I enjoyed this book for the most part, but I did have a few things about the story that bothered me. It was enough to enjoy it for what it was but the few negatives kept me for absolutely loving it like I thought I would. 

Cobain and Molly were a thing. They had a plan. Cobain was the serious one, the one that needed something in his life to be enjoyable. Molly was the free spirit. The one that brought the joy into Cobain's life. They had a plan to disappear together. The problem, Molly disappeared before they could together. The police have questions and so does Cobain. He knows something had to of happened to her and he is dedicated to finding out who and how and just where Molly is. 

Okay so I had some issues with this book and I will get to them. For the most part I enjoyed the story. The mystery was good, the pacing was good, the ending threw me for a loop. I can say that I didn't figure it all out by the end. So there was some good things about this book. Enough to keep me reading to the end and enjoying it enough to give it a 3 heart rating. On the downside, if it wasn't for the few issues I had I think this could have been a 4 heart rating. 

The book was easy to follow, it kept me interested. I needed to know what happened to Molly and so I continued to read. I really didn't know what was going on. I am not sure if it was because there were no real clues... as I was reading from Cobain's point of view and he really had no clue... or if it was written so well I didn't pick up on the clues, or if the clues just weren't there. But at any rate, not being able to figure it out kept me reading. 

The pacing and the mystery and the ending was what I liked about the book. I didn't care much for the characters, I didn't care much for the love story, I didn't care much for the more adult-ish content in the book. 

The characters had nothing to make me care about them. I don't mind books where everyone is broken, but I felt I didn't find too much I liked about them or felt for them. Now in the end I liked Molly. She came around for me. But for most of the book... which has Molly in flashbacks... I didn't care for. Maybe it was the way Cobain saw her that drove me nuts. 

Cobain was an unstable character. I didn't know if I could trust him, his memories, or his motives. This isn't what I didn't like about him. I like unreliable narrators. What I didn't like was how co-dependent he was on Molly. It was creepy. He was creepy to me. 

The romance felt just well an unstable and unhealthy relationship. Some may like this from love stories, or from characters. I think maybe the younger crowd (you know the ones that this book was actually written for) but I guess I am over that. Speaking of the crowd this was written for. I know that some don't mind very adult content being in YA and I don't mind it at times if its done it good taste. The scenes in this book were to adult style. I just didn't think it was appropriate for the age group this book is written for. So I didn't like that. 

So other than the characters, the romance, and the adult scenes... I enjoyed the book. Going into it wanting a mystery and wanting to be clueless in what was going on, feeling like I was trying to figure it out. That is what I liked and why I rated it the way I did. just the few things that kept it from be the most awesome read. 


For a psychological thriller, I enjoyed it. 




Victoria Scott


Victoria Scott is the acclaimed author of nine novels including FIRE & FLOOD, THE COLLECTOR, and the upcoming WE TOLD SIX LIES (January 2019). Victoria’s books have been YALSA-nominated, have appeared on the prestigious Spirit of Texas Reading Program, and have been included on Bank Street College of Education's Best Books of the Year list. She’s been featured in USA Today, Girls’ Life Magazine, and Glitter Magazine, and her stories have been translated and sold in fourteen countries across the world.

Victoria is also the owner and founder of Scribbler, the only subscription box for writers, which has been featured as a best box for creatives by BuzzFeed. Victoria holds a master’s degree in business management, and plans to expand Scribbler into an all-inclusive resource for novelists.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I am looking forward to reading this one myself! Love Victoria's books and a psychological thriller sounds like my kind of read! Sorry to hear that it wasn't absolutely perfect/enjoyable for you. Glad you still were able to enjoy it though for some of it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs