Saturday, February 9, 2019

Review: The Lonely Dead by April Henry

The Lonely DeadTitle: The Lonely Dead
Author: April Henry
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publishing Date: January 29th, 2019
Pages: 240
Audio Length: 5 Hours and 52 Minutes
Genre: YA Paranormal Mystery
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
 

A killer is on the loose, and only one girl has the power to find him. But in this genre-bending YA thriller, she must first manage to avoid becoming a target herself.
For Adele, the dead aren’t really dead. She can see them and even talk to them. But she’s spent years denying her gift. When she encounters her ex best friend Tori in a shallow grave in the woods and realizes that Tori is actually dead -- that gift turns into a curse. Without an alibi, Adele becomes the prime suspect in Tori’s murder. She must work with Tori’s ghost to find the real killer. But what if the killer finds Adele first?
Master mystery-write April Henry adds a chilling paranormal twist to this incredibly suspenseful young adult novel.
What made me pick this book up: 
It's April Henry. As soon as I saw she was coming out with another one I HAD to read it. 

What did I like about the cover: 
I love the colors. The blues and blacks are my favorite combination. I love the woods and how ominous it looks. It definitely looks ghostly. Fits the book well in my opinion.

What made me read this book: 
April Henry? Okay besides that it sounded interesting. I love mystery thriller books and I needed to know what happened. 

What did I like the most: 
As usual the writing is really well done. It was descriptive enough I could picture it, but not overdone to the point where it was too much.

One thing I love about April Henry's books (And there's a lot of things I love) is that they aren't slow. The pace is always awesome in them. It starts out with a bam and it keeps going the whole book.

The mystery is well written, the ghosts are well written. I did hold my breath a few times wondering what would happen next. 

I listened to this in one go, April Henry books are never very long and I think that adds to it, because it doesn't drag out. It's really quick, but always written really well that it doesn't feel like it's rushed. 

Back to what I was saying. I couldn't stop listening to this book. I didn't want to. I NEEDED to know what happened.

What didn't I like: 
There's actually something I don't like about this one... 

The main character. I understand she had a "mental illness" and blah blah. But she was very whiny and poor poor me. 

Actually if I'm being honest, most of the characters just kind of fell flat for me. I didn't care what happened to them.

I also kind of had it figured out pretty quickly. All the signs pointed to this one person and I figured out that it was them, even with all the other people the author was trying to find blame for. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Absolutely yes.


It's April Henry, it's awesome as usual.











The Sweet Dead Life (Sweet Dead Life, #1)Lies Of An Angel (Chasing Natalie's Ghosts #1)The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1)Ashwood (Ashwood, #1)The Awakening (Ghost Huntress, #1)


I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.
If you've read one of my books, I would love to hear from you. Hearing from readers makes me eager to keep writing.
When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an international children's magazine.

My dream of writing went dormant until I was in my 30s, working at a corporate job, and started writing books on the side. Those first few years are now thankfully a blur. Now I'm very lucky to make a living doing what I love. I have written 20 novels for adults and teens, with more on the way. My books have gotten starred reviews, been picked for Booksense, translated into six languages, been named to state reading lists, and won the Oregon Book Award.
Born: Portland, The United States
Website: http://aprilhenrymysteries.com
Twitter: aprilhenrybooks
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers, Young Adult
URL: https://www.goodreads.com/AprilHenry


5 comments:

  1. Oooh! I've never heard of this but it sounds really good! I'm always looking for a great mystery and this one has ghosts? I'm off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super intriguing! Definitely going to have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice! I picked this one up last week as well! I can't wait to read it! I love a good ghostly story! Glad you enjoyed it for the most part even if the characters were a little unlovable! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hate whiny MCs! I think she would have driven me up the pole!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs