Monday, February 4, 2019

Bookish Banter: What Makes You Pick Up the Book?

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

What makes you pick up a book? What catches your eye the most, that you just have to pick up the book to see what it's about?

Ash-
I have a few things that definitely catch my eye when looking at book shelves.

The first one being the cover of course. Everyone notices the cover first, everyone judges by the cover. That's why they make covers interesting. Usually ones with really dark or creepy covers catch my eye. Or ones that have sparkly, bright colors. Or even covers with really pretty blues or purples.
Here are some of my favorite covers that I saw in  the store that caught my eye.

You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back, #1)Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)WintergirlsFallen (Fallen, #1)Don't Cosplay with My Heart

Then the title, if the book is only showing the spine, or maybe the cover isn't very interesting. If the title is different, funny, creepy, or maybe pops out on the spine then it catches my eye and I have to pick it up. 

Some of the more interesting titles I've seen in the store...
A Midsummer Night's ScreamDaughters Unto DevilsDead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)Undead Girl GangPlaylist for the DeadI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)There's Someone Inside Your HouseThe Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things (Virginia Shreves #1)Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #1)

And last but not least, the author. There are some authors that as soon as I see a book by them I immediately want to read it. No matter what it's about, or what the cover looks like. Some of my favorite authors I will ALWAYS read a book by them are April Henry, Laurie Halse Anderson, Jay Asher, Holly Black, A.G. Howard, and a few more I can't think of right now. 

Jenn-

I think I notice titles first.  Titles always interest me. They just call to me before anything else does. So of  course I like it when the title is on the side of the book big bold and noticeable. I have added books to my TBR simply on title alone. 

Titles like these grab my attention: 

Rocks Fall, Everyone DiesHow to Say Goodbye in RobotMister Death's Blue-Eyed GirlsDrink, Slay, LoveSwipe Right for MurderGirls with Sharp SticksYou Owe Me a MurderThe Dead Queens Club

I would say covers get my attention next. I love colorful, soft, playful, or simple covers. 

The Goodbye SummerThe Summer of '69Sugar Spells (The Spellwork Syndicate, #2)Pillow Stalk (Madison Night Mystery, #1)Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)That's Not What HappenedThe Other Side of LostMr. & Mrs. American PieI'm Not Missing


Then of course there are my must read authors... I think we all have these. 

Jennifer L Armentrout
Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Megan Miranda
Jesse Kirby
Morgan Matson
Dawn Kurtagich
David Arnold
Eileen Cook
Marissa Meyer
Cat Winters

What Makes you pick up a book to investigate further. Do you add to your TBR for a reason other than the blurb. Let's chat! 




      

8 comments:

  1. Covers always call to me and blurbs solidify my choice. Though, I will often not read a synopsis for a book by a go-to author, and get it anyhow, because I just have always enjoyed their stories, and expect all their future work to wow me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually the cover is the first thing that draws me in - I like historical fiction, so any cover that has a woman in a pretty, old-fashioned dress will catch my attention and get me to read the blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know one shouldnt but yes the cover makes a difference. It makes me look, it makes the book stay in my mind. While a really bad one makes me look away and forget.

    Then there are fav authors.
    And well if it sounds good :D
    And if my peeps recommend it

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun or captivating title will snag me most, but, yes, a stunning cover will do it. I love atmospheric ones and ones with intricate artistic designs and symbols that hint at the story inside.
    Yep, a fav author's name will also catch my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover usually gets me to read the blurb. If I love the blurb, then I’ll read the book. I tend to like simple covers, creepy covers, and covers with nature on them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm browsing in a real bookshop I go first by title and cover, then check the book blurb. On Amazon it tends to be the cover I notice first but the book blurb must interest me to get me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to say it but I still always notice covers first, then authors, then titles. I have no idea why in that order but, there you have it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Covers are huge for me, I have to admit. Love the cover of Fallen. Drink Slay Love, Girls With Sharp Sticks, and You Owe Me A Murder are all favorites as well. The Goodbye Summer just makes me want ice cream.

    Must buy authors are another criteria for sure. Of your list, I'm hoping to try Holly Black soon, and Jrssi Kirby is already an author I like. Same for Megan Miranda.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs