Friday, February 15, 2019

Genre D&R: Psychological Thrillers


Genre Definition and Recommendation is a feature where I will define a genre and a sub-genre definition and the make some recommendations.  

Psychological Thriller Definition found on Wikipedia


Psychological thriller is a fictional thriller story which emphasizes the psychology of its characters and their unstable emotional states.[1] In terms of classification, the category is a sub-genre of the broader ranging thriller category,[1] with similarities to Gothic and detective fiction in the sense of sometimes having a "dissolving sense of reality", moral ambiguity, and complex and tortured relationships between obsessive and pathological characters.[2] Psychological thrillers often incorporate elements of mystery, drama, and horror, particularly psychological horror. 



Jenn:


This is one of my all time favorite genres. I feel that this is a genre we are missing in YA but adult has so many good ones. I love the fact that I don't know what is what and the slow burn the story gives. I love the twists and the insane characters. I love the normalcy of the story until it all goes to hell. I just love these books. 


I love all thrillers but I do feel I am partial to the psychological thrillers. For me a good psychological thriller is one that has me second guessing what really happened, the story shocks me in the end, the good aren't good and the bad aren't bad, and of course it screws with my mind.

I need to be on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, glued to the book, mouth hanging open, and completely clueless. 

 Do you like psychological thrillers? What makes a good psychological thriller for you? and why is psychological so hard to type? These are the hard questions in life! 




My Recommendations: 


Then She Was GoneBring Me BackA Stranger in the HouseWe Were LiarsWith MaliceComplicitThe House SwapSunburnOne of Us Is LyingThe Party






2 comments:

  1. I find this genre more miss than hit. I like the tense plots and surprising twists but I don't enjoy the real slow burners where I can get easily bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Were Liars is SO GOOD! I'll have to check the rest of these out!

    Erica | Erica Robyn Reads

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs