Thursday, February 7, 2019

Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Eve (Eve, #1)Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publishing Date: October 4th, 2011
Pages: 336
Audio Length: 6 Hours
Genre: YA Dystopian
TW: N/A
Series: Eve #1
Source: Audio
 

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?
Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust... and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying
What made me pick this book up: 
The cover is absolutely beautiful. That's definitely the thing that caught my eye the most.

What did I like about the cover: 
First of all the colors. They are absolutely beautiful. I love the green fading into the purple. It's very pretty and soft while still looking dark and creepy. And then I love the red hair and the white dress. It's all really pretty but still kind of creepy. 

What made me read this book: 
I was looking for a short read so I could get back into it, and this one looked interesting to me. I wanted a good slightly thriller like dystopian.

What did I like the most: 
I really need to learn to do reviews closer to when I read them. I've already forgotten most of this. Though I'm sure I'll remember as I'm reading.

My favorite part of this definitely had to be the characters. Not the main character, Eve. But the secondary characters. 

Caleb was one of my favorite from the beginning. He was strong, rugged, and protective. He obviously cared about Eve enough to protect her from the beginning. Which makes me think he's just a great guy, because he saved a total stranger.

And then there's the little boys that are staying in the bunker. They are so sweet and there was a part that just broke my heart. Made me think of Finn and how much I don't ever want him hurt.

One of the good things is that Anna Carey definitely knows how to write about heartbreak. I felt everything with the heartache. 

The ending was a huge cliffhanger. HUGE. So even if I didn't want to read the next one, I obviously have to.


What didn't I like: 

I was going into this book expecting to have edge of my seat moments, moments that made me glad I'm not living in these times, and while that does happy sometimes... It's not quite as exciting as I had hoped it would be. 

This book is supposed to be about a time after a sickness took most people. There was nothing really explaining the sickness, or how life was after it. It didn't explain how dark times were, how everyone lived now. It was just a little bit here and there that reminded me, oh yeah, this is supposed to be post apocalyptic basically.

I had explained before how the writing was good as in I felt the heartbreak in the story. However, that's where the good writing stopped. I didn't feel anything for the characters, except the kiddos. I didn't care what happened, except to Caleb. I couldn't picture the world where this book took place.

AND the model on the cover has bright red hair. Eve is described as blonde. And this REALLY bugs me. So I couldn't even picture the stinkin main character. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Stupid cliffhangers. I will be reading the second book. I tried reading another one by Anna Carey and I just couldn't. So I probably won't read much else besides this series by her.


It was kind of slow, I felt a bit lost at times, but overall it was pretty good. 









“I loved my mother too,' I said. 'I still do. That's the thing - it never goes away, even if the person does.” 
― Anna Carey, Eve


Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)The Bane (The Eden Trilogy, #1)XVI (XVI, #1)Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)


Anna Carey has been a gift wrapper, face painter, nanny, horrific cocktail waitress, sofa saleswoman and children's book editor. She graduated from New York University and has an MFA in fiction from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Los Angeles, where she can be found writing, reading, and telling elaborate, only moderately interesting stories about her dog.
Website: http://www.annacareybooks.com
Twitter: AnnaCareyBooks
URL: https://www.goodreads.com/AnnaCareyBooks


6 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of books by Anna Carey and liked 'em but I think she's kinda best known for these? And I haven't read these but I've kinda wanted to. Not a big fan of cliffhangers though either, and the worldbuilding sounds sketchy. I may still grab these. Hope the sequel goes in a good direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I had completely forgotten about this series until I read your review! Honestly, I don't remember all that much of this book (I rated it 3 stars, like you) and looking at Goodreads, I've read the rest of the series but I don't remember anything at all about them. Maybe it's time for a reread for old times sake :) Take a dip back into the dystopia fueled world that was the early 2010s. Lovely review, Ash!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really bugs me when the cover image looks nothing like the character it's meant to portray. And the cliff hanger ending means this would be one to avoid for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a vague memory of DNFing the book. If I remember right I found it slow and wasn't keen on the MC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book for years now, but never gotten around to it. Sounds like a series I'll have to binge though with the cliffhanger. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one before. You're right about that cover! It is stunning. I hope that your next read is more enjoyable for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs