Saturday, February 23, 2019

Review: The Dead Queen's Club by Hannah Capin

The Dead Queens ClubTitle: The Dead Queen's Club
Author:  Hannah Capin
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Publishing Date:  
Pages: 464
Genre: YA Modern Retelling/Mystery
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  Audio
 

What do a future ambassador, an overly ambitious Francophile, a hospital-volunteering Girl Scout, the new girl from Cleveland, the junior cheer captain, and the vice president of the debate club have in common? It sounds like the ridiculously long lead-up to an astoundingly absurd punchline, right? Except it’s not. Well, unless my life is the joke, which is kind of starting to look like a possibility given how beyond soap opera it’s been since I moved to Lancaster. But anyway, here’s your answer: we’ve all had the questionable privilege of going out with Lancaster High School’s de facto king. Otherwise known as my best friend. Otherwise known as the reason I’ve already helped steal a car, a jet ski, and one hundred spray-painted water bottles when it’s not even Christmas break yet. Otherwise known as Henry. Jersey number 8.

Meet Cleves. Girlfriend number four and the narrator of The Dead Queens Club, a young adult retelling of Henry VIII and his six wives. Cleves is the only girlfriend to come out of her relationship with Henry unscathed—but most breakups are messy, right? And sometimes tragic accidents happen…twice…

I don't remember where I discovered this book but it grabbed my attention. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I don't think I even read through the entire synopsis, but I saved it, then I bought it, then I listened to it. I did enjoy it. I think it had a  little more drama and to little mystery for me at times, but I did enjoy it.  

This is a very modern day retelling of Henry the VII. Henry and Cleves have been friends for a while. Ever since Cleves has known Henry he has had a multiple girlfriends. He always seems to be looking for something better. He always finds a reason to leave a girl behind. The only one who seems to be still around after a break up is Cleves. She and Henry are still friends... but Cleves starts to see the light after two of his girlfriends end up dead. Cleves and the other exes decide to get together and figure out if Henry is a murderer. 



I don't really know all my thoughts on this book. They don't run too deep. I enjoyed the read. I was listening to it on audio and I remember thinking is this going anywhere but then I couldn't put the book down. So I am a little mixed on my review. I wasn't bored, I wanted to know what was happening, the writing and pacing was done well. I just felt the entire time like the book was something. Like some oomph. 

The idea of a modern retelling of Henry the VIII, a wonderful idea. The author did an excellent job of adapting the story to modern times, with teens, and still keeping some of the realism. One thing I really enjoyed was comparing the names and the circumstances to the real story. They lined up pretty well. Of course there were some changes but really... the author did a great job about the retelling. 

I think where the story slowed for me was in the character development. I feel that the main character, Cleves, well she was a little naive and needy. So I couldn't really connect with her, and I didn't feel she really grew much throughout all the events. 

Cleves was the only character I didn't really like. I found all the others likable. Even Henry. I wanted to hate him because I knew he would turn out to the bad guy. In the end, I did see him as the monster he was. But.... he was written well, charming and funny and likable. So it was hard to hate him until he let his true colors show. 

The secondary characters, all the exes, I liked them. They were all very different, held their own, and really brought more to the story. A very colorful, interesting cast of characters. 

One other issue I had, I felt this story was just a contemporary read for most for the book. The murder, mayhem, mystery was a very slow entrance. Which I wouldn't mind if I didn't expect it to be the main focus. Which I did. Maybe my fault. The contemporary side was an okay read, the mystery side was a good read. So mixed feelings here. 

I did enjoy it as a whole....just as retelling.... it was grand, as a mystery... it was good. So yes I enjoyed it for what it was in the end. 



It was a solid retelling read. 





Hannah Capin


Hannah Capin lives in Tidewater Virginia. She ​holds degrees from the Indiana University School of Music and Columbia University. When she isn't writing, you'll find her sailing, singing, or pulling marathon gossip sessions with her girl squad.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I'm sorry it wasn't a five star read for you, but I do love to check out different retellings. I may struggle with the naive main character too though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, the synopsis makes me want to pick up the book right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this one and really liked it, but I am a Tudor freak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun one... retellings can always be hit or miss so good to hear this one delivered for the most part. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hesitant to pick this one up, but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. There were times, when I got a little lost but I did find the book very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs