Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Review: The Last Witness by Claire McFall

The Last WitnessTitle: The Last Witness 
Author:  Claire McFall
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire 
Publishing Date:  January 1st, 2020
Pages: 272
Genre: YA Psychological Horror
Series:  Stand Alone 
Source:  Paperback
 
A group of friends awaken a malevolent spirit bent on revenge in this haunting thriller from award-winning author Claire McFall
Heather agrees to a group camping holiday with Dougie and his friends because she's desperate to get closer to him. But when the two of them disturb a pagan burial site above the beach, she becomes certain that they have awoken a malevolent spirit. Something is alive out there in the pitch-black dark, and it is planning to seek deadly revenge.
One year later, Heather knows she was very lucky to escape Black Cairn Point, but she is still waiting for Dougie to wake up from his coma. If he doesn't, how will she prove her sanity—and her innocence? 

I discovered this book a while back on Edelweiss and thought it sounded quite good, so I requested it and then I kind of forgot about it for a while. So more recently Ash and I were at the lovely bookstore (prior quarantine) and she bought it. So I read it. This book wasn't quite what I thought but I can say I was unable to put it down. It for sure helped me out of a reading slump. I quite enjoyed it and I was very immersed into the story. 


There was a group of 5 friends that went out to the beach for a camping trip. Things happen while there that leads to 3 of the friends not returning home. Two have returned, one is being blamed for all that has happened. This story is told in the now and the then and narrated by the main character, Heather, who is a bit unreliable...at least according the to the state. She has to prove her innocence and prove her sanity before she can move on with her life. 


I really enjoyed this book. I am not going to be able to go into to much detail, I don't want to give anything away. What I will say is that this book had me from the very beginning. I didn't want to put it down. I was wanting to know more and more with every chapter. It was written well and honestly for the entire read, I had no idea where this story was going to take me....is it going to be supernatural, is it going to be a serial killer, or is it all just made up. I really didn't know. So the need to read was for sure there and I was hooked. 

Now there were some things that one should expect when reading this book, the characters are not narrated in the best light. This story is not made for a connection to characters, character growth, or any feel good moments. This story is meant to creep you out, make you unsure, and kind of give you the heebie jeebies. So that being said.... did I like the characters? Unsure... it didn't really matter. I kind of enjoyed thinking they were dumb and heartless but didn't really dislike them as there wasn't really time to get to know them. It was all superficial. There wasn't really romance but there were some kissy smoochy parts. Friendship bonds were kind of there but not really good ones. Really this is not a character driven book.... well that is not true either. I am babbling because I really enjoyed the book and can't really say why... so if I am intriguing you... read the book. 

If you liked shocking revelations, crazy and unexplained events, and a group of friends that have some real issues. Read this book. I liked it and the ending really made me like it and well worth the read. It was gripping and fast paced and a real page turner. 



I really loved this book!!!






Claire McFall


Claire McFall's work is, in essence, all about first love and difficult decisions. Her novels take straightforward romantic narratives and hurl them into unusual and extreme settings, blurring accepted genre boundaries and creating new sub-genres of her own. She then charts her characters' reactions to these unfamiliar situations and the new and confusing feelings that beset them in a hyper-real, engaging, deeply poignant and literary manner. Claire is a former teacher from Scotland who now lives in sunny Colorado with her husband, two children, and pooch, Jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs