Thursday, April 23, 2020

It's Graphic Time: Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom by Kelly Thompson


It's Graphic Time is a feature where we review graphic novels and comic books.

Nancy Drew: The Palace of WisdomTitle: Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom
Author: Kelly Thompson
Illustrator: Jenn St. Onge
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment
Publishing Date: April 2nd, 2019
Pages: 128
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: YA Mystery Graphic Novel
TW: N/A
Series: Standalone... For now...
Source: Book
 

Nancy Drew is seventeen and good at everything... ESPECIALLY solving crimes. But her totally-in-control-and-obviously-running-perfectly-smooth-(but-not-really) life hits a snag when a mysterious message drags her back to the hometown she left behind. There she'll have to find out which of her friends are still her friends, which are enemies, and who exactly is trying to kill her...and (hopefully) stop them before they succeed.
I have been a huge fan of Nancy Drew since I was little. I loved reading her books, trying to figure out the mysteries. 
As an adult I find I still love Nancy Drew, especially Nancy Drew retellings, such as this one.
Especially this one, to be honest. I loved seeing a teenage Nancy and I love how they made her look like a Hipster version of herself. 
I love how they modernized this book. It's like a Riverdale version of Nancy Drew. I also love how they made one of the characters to be plus sized. 




I love the artwork. It's cute and well done and I felt like it fit the book. 

Preview: Nancy Drew: Palace of Wisdom TP | Graphic PolicyNancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom - Comics by comiXologyDynamite® Nancy Drew: Palace Of Wisdom Tp




As I said I love the way that they made Nancy to look more hipster, and kind of all of them to be hipster tbh. I wish that we would have seen more of her two friends from the beginning of the book, but maybe next time. 

Bess is my favorite. She kind of reminds me of me, and not just because she's curvy. I feel like I'd get along with her well. 

I also loved the Hardy boys. Their personalities compliment each other and just add so much to this story.

I also really liked her new friend. Who's name I cannot at all remember and I'm too lazy to go get the book. You'll know if you read it. But yeah he was really cool and sweet. 






Everything was a continuous go go go from the beginning. It started off with Nancy saving a goat for goodness sake. A lot of graphic novels have a quick pace, and sometimes it just doesn't work. It works well with this book though. I never felt bored, but I also didn't feel like it was rushed or ended too soon.
Okay maybe it ended too soon, but only because I wanted- no NEEDED- to read more. 
I hope that they write more to the series. 





Wow I had no idea where this one was going. I felt the need to keep reading so I could figure it out. Which was nice, because a lot of times I figure it out too quickly and that's not nearly as fun. I want to be surprised and aghast when I find out what happened. 




Overall a very nice, modern, grown up twist on the old Nancy Drew series. 



The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1MooncakesHotel DareTeen Titans: RavenUnder The Moon: A Catwoman Tale


KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detested.
Kelly has published two novels - THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE KING (2012) and STORYKILLER (2014) and the graphic novel HEART IN A BOX from Dark Horse Comics (2015). She's currently writing ROGUE & GAMBIT, HAWKEYE, and PHASMA for Marvel Comics and GHOSTBUSTERS for IDW. Other major credits include: A-Force, Captain Marvel & The Carol Corps, Jem and The Holograms, Misfits, Power Rangers Pink, and the creator-owned mini-series Mega Princess.


1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs