Thursday, January 31, 2019

Bookish Banter: Great Storyteller Vs. Great Writer

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

For this bookish banter we will be discussing the differences between a great story teller and a great writer. We'll talk about which we prefer.

Jenn-

I have been thinking about this lately. I have read some really great books of late and I am not sure if its just really great books or I was away from reading for so long I missed it greatly. At any rate I read this one book that really got me thinking about what makes a great read. I mean we need the book to be written well and to have a great story. But really what makes each and can a book live on just one aspect of this partnership. I believe it depends on what you want and what you like. 

If we are honest... a great book need both to be written well and have a grand story. So what is great writing and what is great storytelling. 

Well when I think of a great writer I think of pacing, setting, tone... Are these things done well. But what some consider a well written book is technically written well. I think these things can go hand. I think a great writer can use all these things to make a great story. They can put words down that make sense and also tell the story. It is very important to have great pacing, a well done setting, and a tone that sets it all. A book can have all these elements but still lack for me. 

I have had books that had all these elements. The words were beautiful, the setting was beautiful, the tone was there to set the mood... but something was still off. I could admire the work and enjoy the story but  the story didn't take me where I wanted to go. It didn't give me all the feels I wanted. I didn't breathe and live the story. 

A great storyteller has a great story to be told and when that story is told, I feel it in my core. I not only see it all I am there. I am living it. I am so wrapped into the story that I feel a void when the story is over. This is a great storyteller. A great storyteller can tell me about their lunch date and I would be totally enthralled.  I think you can have a great writer without being a great storyteller... but a great storyteller is always a great writer too. 

I do believe one can write well and but the story lacks emotional and life.  I have read well thought out stories but the writing was just not done well. The development lacked. In both of these circumstances... the book just wasn't good. So a book needs to have great storytelling  and great writing... So really a great writer and a great storyteller are one in the same but still different. So if I haven't confused you... because apparently I am neither a a great writer or a great storyteller.... what are your thoughts?


Ash-
I still really don't understand the difference. We keep talking about it, but I don't really see a difference when I'm reading a book.

With that being said I obviously don't have a preference. 

I mean, I guess I have a few favorite authors that write really well? Or maybe they're good story tellers. I honestly can't tell the difference.

I just like what I like I guess. I don't have much to say on this subject.

Image result for oh well gif




      

4 comments:

  1. This is a topic I think about a lot. Probably because I spent too much time in college. We read tons of beautifully written books where NOTHING HAPPENS. Those books were all about the writing. I liked them, but I also like good storytelling. Stephen King and George RR Martin are brilliant storytellers, but their writing isn’t always stunning. It’s more about the plots and worlds with them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a combination of both especially to allow for more complex details and overall stories arcs particularly in fantasy or series. Both must be able to pull me into the story and allow me to feel, taste, see and experience the story. A great writer makes sure all the threads are tightly woven and a great storyteller shares them in such a way as to pull you into the threads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! I have read some books that are beautifully written, but extremely boring. Sometimes I also think that is partly sue to my mood as a reader. Interesting points to think about here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely on the side of the storyteller. As a reader I want to be entertained and if that story gives me characters I care about, a plot that I enjoy and some feels, then the actual technical ability of the author isn't as important. I like fast pacing, tension and action, some humour and great sidekicks. I care less about correct English and perfect writing if the story grabs me. I can even overlook spelling and grammar issues in good books.

    Put simply I'd rather have a story I loved with a few technical errors than a technically perfect book without the feels!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs