Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater


The Scorpio RacesTitle: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic  Inc.
Publishing Date: October 18th 2011
Pages:409
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy Adventure
Series: Stand Alone
Source: Hardcover

Goodreads Summary:

it happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

Review: 

The premise of this book sounded really interesting and I love the other books by Maggie Steifvater, so I got this one from my local library. I really enjoyed this book. It’s really different then her Wolves or Mercy Falls and The Books of Faerie, but different in a good way. 
The story involves magical water horses. These horses are very big, fast, and dangerous. Every year on the island they have water horse races. Every year it has only been men, until this year. A girl joins the races and with a regular mare.
The story changes between character points of view of Sean and Puck. I really liked both characters. Sean is a young man, so he is a bit arrogant and proud, but he is also a hard worker and determined to make something of himself.
Puck starts out as a naïve, whiny girl but quickly becomes brave, smart, and determined. She learns a lot about the races in a short amount of time and is doing everything she can to win the race. I really love how quickly Pcuk grew up and knew she was the only that could ensure her life would be what she wanted it to be. She doesn’t care what other thought or had to say about her outrages idea to run the race on a mare with dangerous water horses.
The story was a great story of courage and faith. Like all of Maggie’s books the writing is amazing and flows effortlessly.  I do wish that the book would have been a series, but I guess not all stories have a reason to continue. 

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one, it's one of my favourites :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a breath of fresh air. I was actually glad to have a stand alone book. Then I don't have to wait a year to see what happens next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might pick this up and read it. Your review has got me teetering on the edge of buying it when, before, I would not have touched it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was just added to my to-read list. It sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs