Friday, January 25, 2013

Review: Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George



Princess of Glass (Princess #2)
Title: Princess of Glass
Author: Jessica Day George
Publisher: 
 Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publishing Date: May 25th 2010
Pages: 257
Genre:  YA Fairytale Retelling
Series: Princess #2
Source: Hardcover

  

Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other's countries in the name of better political alliances--and potential marriages. It's got the makings of a fairy tale--until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ballgowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way.


I was so excited to read the next installment for the Princess series by Jessica Day George. I loved Princess of the Midnight Ball and couldn't wait to get my hands of the Cinderella retelling, Princess of Glass. I was able to read the book quickly with a smile on my face. It was fast paced and enjoyable. 




Poppy is one of the middle sisters and this story is hers. Ever since the worn out slipper incident that ended after the death of a prince of two, the sisters are doing everything they can to make things right with other kingdoms. In this story Poppy is sent of to a kingdom to spend some time and possibly be married off. The only problem is that she doesn't want to dance. Ever since the Midnight Balls, she is put off about dancing. So she finds other activities during the dance such as cards. She does meet the prince, Christian , and he isn't to bad on the eyes.  We  also mix in another girl, a servant girl, who is not so nice and also wants the boy. Oh and on top of that, who needs evil stepmothers when you have evil fairy godmothers. I loved that little twist on the classic fairytale!




Another great fairy tale retelling. I loved it. I really enjoyed seeing another sister in action. So many of the sisters were itty bitty in the first book and not the focus that I didn't feel that I knew them very well. Wither there being 12 sisters it would take a lot to focus on each one individual. I am not sure why Poppy was chosen but I am glad she was. 

Poppy is fun, smart, witty, and just full of surprises. I think what I loved most about her is that she was very sassy and she knew what she wanted. She was not going to be pushed around. She wasn't going to do what she didn't want to do, like dance. The Midnight Balls left a very bad taste in her mouth for dancing, she goes to the ball but refused to dance. What does she do instead- play cards with the men. Loved it.  

I didn't quite gush over the prince like I did for Galen in the Midnight Ball. He was a good character. Seemed like more of a playboy to me. Not ready to settle down. Kind of a wise cracker. I think he was good for Poppy but I missed Galen for sure. Maybe others will like Christian more but I am still a Galen girl. 

I may have not been the biggest Christian fan but I did like the romance in the book. It was nice and very fairytalish like- even with all the sinister planning of evil doings going on. 

The writing was well done, I did find it seem to have the feel for a bit of a younger crowd this time. Maybe not as much meat as the fist book, but I still enjoyed it very much. It really did end to fast for me. I am very happy the dark side was kept in the story, I think that is one of my favorite things about Jessica Day George's farytale retellings... They are not all fluffy, warm feelings, and such. Nope they can get quite dark and evil. 



Another great fairy tale retelling from a great author. I can't wait to read the final book. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs