Sunday, April 8, 2018

Review: Moonrise by Sarah Crossan

MoonriseTitle: Moonrise
Author: Sarah Crossan
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children
Publishing Date: May 8th, 2018
Pages: 400
Audio Length: 3 Hours and 49 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Series: Standalone
Source: ARC 


'They think I hurt someone.
But I didn't. You hear?
Coz people are gonna be telling you
all kinds of lies.
I need you to know the truth.'
From one-time winner and two-time Carnegie Medal shortlisted author Sarah Crossan, this poignant, stirring, huge-hearted novel asks big questions. What value do you place on life? What can you forgive? And just how do you say goodbye?



What made me pick this book up: 
The cover is gorgeous, and it was on netgalley to review. 

What did I like about the cover: 
I thin it's beautiful, the colors and the night sky are gorgeous.

What made me read this book: 
It was for a task and I wanted to review it. The synopsis was really interesting too.

What did I like the most: 
Okay, let me just start by saying this book broke my heart. I haven't cried this hard in a book in a very long time With that being said...
This is weird, given my rating, but up until the end I really didn't like anything, except the lady from the diner. She was funny. But honestly that was it. And she wasn't even that important since I can't even remember her name.

What didn't I like: 
I feel like up until the end, this entire book is a waste of time. I understand the need for build up, but this had so much bouncing back and forth that it didn't make sense. I disliked the characters and I didn't care what happened. Up until the end that is. The rest was just annoying. I based my star rating solely on the end and all the feels it gave me. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Well, it did give me a lot of feels. If she has another book that the entire book is like that, I might like it.

I disliked about 90% of this book, but the ending was so powerful.




“Will you be ok if I'm not around? he asked.
Sure, I said,
but I didn't mean it.
Ed was my brother but also sort of like 
my dad
and my best friend too.” 
― Sarah CrossanMoonrise

Make Lemonade (Make Lemonade, #1)Crank (Crank, #1)What My Mother Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know #1)I Heart You, You Haunt MeBecause I Am Furniture


Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.
She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.
She currently lives in NYC.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Ash,
    I love that cover! The moon looks epic. The snippet makes it sound emotional. It is a testament of the author's skill that she surprised you with the shift in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover would have nabbed me, too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like something I would be interested in. 📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to nab it on NetGalley. Thanks for the heads up!!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs