Monday, April 2, 2018

I Read That Movie: Ready Player One

I  read that movie is a feature where we compare movies or TV series, and the books they're based on.



Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)Title: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Publisher: Broadway Books
Publishing Date: August 16th, 2011
Pages: 374
Length of Audio: 15 Hours and 46 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Sci-Fi
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
  


In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Mini review:

What made me read this book: 
Funny story actually... A few years back, when RPO first came out, Ernest Cline was at a book fest that we went to. We bought the book for me to get signed, for my dad. Well, I was so used to just having the authors sign my name (I had already gone through like 10 authors lines) that I had him sign it in my name. Right as soon as he signed it, Jenn came up and made sure I got it in my dad's name. Well... I didn't. So Ernest Cline actually gave us a second book, for free, and signed it to my dad. Before that, I didn't really have any interest in reading this, but I figured I have a signed copy now, I better read it.

I've wanted to read this since I got it signed. My husband decided to listen to it, so we got it on audio. And because the movie is coming out soon, I decided it was probably a good time.

What did I like the most: 
I loved all the pop culture references. I really want to find every movie, game, book, and song mentioned in this book and check every single one out. It'll take me a while, but it's a good goal. He is my favorite character. He's funny and smartass-y. The story is also really good. And let me tell you what, what I wouldn't do to have a game like an oasis. It's like second life meets World of Warcraft. Amazing.

What didn't I like: 
I feel like the book was just a little long. Everything he said, he had to go into extreme detail. Details that were just a bit unnecessary in parts. And I love details, but honestly, you could cut out 1/3 of the book, and still be an awesome book. I also really did not like Wade, the main character. He was a bit of a baby, and kind of annoying. I can't name exactly what it was I didn't like, but he just... irked me.

Full review here



Ready Player One PosterRelease Date: March 29th, 2018
Cast: Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke
Series: Standalone

When the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune.





Mini Review:
I really really enjoyed this movie. It was well done, great actors, and of course still fun to see the pop culture references. I think they should have put more references in the movie. The book had so so so many. 


Let's compare:
Did I see the movie or read the book first?
 I read the book first. I made sure to read it before I went and saw the movie.

Like the movie or the book better?
I can't say I liked one more than the other to be honest. Both the book and the movie are really good. 


How does it compare?
The movie is basically nothing like the book. The contest was the same, the characters were the same. But that was it. They changed the challenges, and they changed some really huge parts. So if you have read the book and you go see the movie, be prepared because it is 95% not like the book.


Do the actors match the characters in the book?
Yes and no. I think the actors who played the characters were good. But the book is so long and you really get to know the characters, so I think with how short (I mean not short, it was a 2.5 hour movie) the movie is in comparison, it's hard to match the characters exactly.


Major differences?
We don't get to see Og's avatar at all in the movie. There is barely anything of Og in the movie at all. 
They changed the challenges and how they happened. 
They changed how everyone met. 
They changed a lot of huge stuff that I can't even go into. 
So if you haven't read the book, well you're missing out on some pretty significant things.



Fun Facts?

A passage from the novel Ready Player One describes Wade's obsession and "research" of Anorak's Almanac, Halliday's journal chock full of '80s references to books, movies, TV shows, music, and video games. One of the filmographies that Wade studied from the Almanac was Steven Spielberg's, who just so happens to be directing this film adaptation.




       





3 comments:

  1. Now that I've seen the movie, I want to get to the book sometime this month so I can compare. My sister wasn't crazy about the book, though. She thought it had too much detail in some parts, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love comparing books and movies

      Delete
  2. Yes, how lucky can one be to enjoy a meeting with Spielberg about making the book into a movie when you haven't even finished writing it?
    There were so many pop culture moments, it will take many repeat viewings to catch them all. I didn't miss Firefly though!
    yidio
    m4ufree
    zmovies
    watch32

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs