Monday, April 16, 2018

Bookish Banter: What Started Your Reading Obsession

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

What books really got you into reading? 


Ash-

I grew up in a house that loved to read. My grama really loved to read. I remember as a child going to the library and picking out books to take home and read.

I remember this one series about a couple girls who found like a dollhouse or something and it was all magical and stuff. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the book or anything.

But I remember loving Sweet Valley Twins, Goosebumps, Animorphs, Replica, Spinechillers, and a few others.

Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1)Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)Amy, Number Seven (Replica, #1)Dr. Shivers' Carnival (Spinechillers Mysteries, #1)



But honest I think the books that got me the most into reading, was the Shadow Children Series. I ate those books up and they really made me want to explore more into books. I haven't read those in probably like 15 years, but I really want to read them again.
Among the Hidden (Shadow Children, #1)







Jenn:

Well, there were a ton of books I enjoyed when I was little. I remember I always liked books when I was really little, before 5 years of age, my mom ordered a monthly book club for me that came with a couple of Sweet Pickles books each month. I loved these books. I didn't get to really enjoy them until I was a bit older... Probably second through fourth grade. But I loved them. The titles were so clever. I would love to find the set one day. Here are a few of my favorites from the set.... (which had a book for every letter of the alphabet and an animal for that letter.) 

Fixed by Camel (Sweet Pickles, #3) Goose Goofs Off Me Too Iguana (Sweet Pickles, #9) Jackal Wants Everything (Sweet Pickles Series) Nuts to Nightingale Rest, Rabbit, Rest Happy Birthday Unicorn Yakety Yak Yak Yak

Some other books that I really loved as a kid were the Berenstein Bears books. Oh how I loved these... Here are my favorites... 

The Berenstain Bears and the Messy RoomThe Berenstain Bears in the DarkThe Berenstain Bears No Girls AllowedThe Berenstain Bears and Too Much TVThe Berenstain Bears' Trouble with MoneyThe Berenstain Bears Get Stage Fright
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree


In middle school, I discovered The Dollhouse Murders and many Christopher Pike and RL Stine books. Along with Agatha Christie 

The Dollhouse MurdersChain Letter (Chain Letter #1)Scavenger HuntThe Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)And Then There Were None

Then in high school, I discovered John Saul, Mary Higgins Clark, and Dean Koontz. 

NathanielWhen the Wind BlowsThe Bad PlaceWatchersWhere Are the Children?A Stranger Is Watching


As you can see I have always had a thing for horror, thriller, and mystery. 

After high school and in my twenties, I read very little. Then when I as in my early thirties, I discovered YA since my daughter was starting to read more book. I needed to know what she was reading and that led to my love of YA books. I like to read them all now. I am still not much of adult contemporary. I do read some ya contemporary but not as much as I do mystery thrillers, sci-fi, and fantasy. 

So how did your reading start???


4 comments:

  1. I didn't grow up in a reading household (my parents hardly ever read), but they always encouraged my sisters and me to read. We went to the library A LOT. The first time I ever remember really becoming addicted to reading, though, was when I started Nancy Drew, which led me to Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie. The Chronicles of Narnia took me down the fantasy path, which was followed by Harry Potter, Anne McCaffrey, Melanie Rawn, David Eddings, etc. I still read tons to this day. Some years more than others, but at least a book a week. And fantasy and mystery books continue to be favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember falling in love with the Serendipity books, they were so colorful and beautifully illustrated. I also remember devouring the Little House on the Prairie Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. I remember quite a few of these. I didn't fall in love with reading until I was much older, though, and in college. But I did enjoy some of these :) Fun to look back isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad always read bedtime stories to me and I always saw him with his nose in a book so I get my love of reading from him. I joined a book club when I was eight and never looked back. One of my favourite childhood books was Bears in the night. I still love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs