Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publishing Date: January 25th, 2012 
Pages: 330
Audio Length: 8 Hours and 55 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Paranomal
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles
Source: Audio
 

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
What made me pick this book up: 
I really like the word "wicked" I'm not sure why, but I always want to read books with wicked in the title (Something Wicked this way comes, when my heart was wicked, wicked lovely...) 
Anyway!
The cover was also breathtakingly beautiful. I absolutely loved it. So that's probably what caught my eye first. 
Plus Jenn had it on audio.

What did I like about the cover: 
Absolutely everything. The colors are beautiful, the model is beautiful, the dress and the flowers are beautiful. It's so pretty!

What made me read this book: 
Witches. Plus it was on audio. And it matched for a task.

What did I like the most: 
I liked the magic of course. I also liked that it was set in the past instead of nowadays.

I always love reading about that. I love how the author describes things, she does really well at it.

The main character is sassy and definitely hard headed.

I also really liked Finn (Partially because his name is awesome!) But he was sweet and caring. 

What didn't I like: 
I found the names to be confusing, I don't know if it's because it was on audio, or because I listened while doing other stuff, but I kept getting the characters mixed up. 
I feel like I zoned out too much and missed half the book. 

It was a good book, but it just didn't really hold my attention. I didn't feel anything towards the book and I found myself a bit confused at times.

Maybe I'll try to read it again sometime, so I can finish the series.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I would like to.

It was okay, I expected to be wowed by it.


“Some things are worth the danger, aren’t they? I don’t believe anyone should be allowed to dictate what I read or who my friends are. It gives me pleasure to know that I can thwart the Brotherhood in some small way.” 
― Jessica SpotswoodBorn Wicked


The Wicked Garden (The Wicked Garden, #1)Witch Song (Witch Song, #1)Brew (Salem's Revenge, #1)The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)



Author. Editor. Feminist. Slytherpuff.

I live in Washington, DC with my playwright husband, where I also work as a children's library associate for the DC Public Library.

If you're interested in interviews or guest posts, please contact me at jessica.shea.author@gmail.com.





2 comments:

  1. It has been way too long since I read this one so I would need a refresher myself. Hope the reread captivates you so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was really popular back in the day. I own the first 2 books but was never able to get through the first book (I blame that more on myself than the book), but I've always been interested in giving it another shot. I'm sorry you weren't blown away by it!

    ~Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs