Sunday, April 29, 2018

Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)Title: The Darkest Minds 
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: Disney Hyperion 
Publishing Date: December 18th, 2012
Pages: 488
Audio Length: 14 Hours
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Series: The Darkest Minds
Source: Audio
 

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.
Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.

Jenn's review of The Darkest Minds here

What made me pick this book up: 
My dad has had this book for years, of course I've seen it around. I actually had zero desire to read it, because I judged a book by it's cover. 
From the cover it totally did not look like my type of book. So I really didn't pick it up... technically. 

What did I like about the cover:I like the newer covers, the older ones just look boring and... I don't know. I don't like them.
What made me read this book: 
I saw the preview for the movie and it looked awesome. So I read it for two reasons. The first is that once I saw the preview, I realized how awesome this book might actually be. The second reason is, as a rule, I always try to read the book before I see the movie.

What did I like the most: 
I like the story of it. The idea that a virus was killing off kids, but not just that the kids were being killed off, suddenly they had super powers!? Well, sort of super powers. Powers in general. That was really cool.

The characters were great, especially considering what they've been through. Ruby really has no idea what's going on, but she does the best she can with what she has. 
Chubs ended up being my favorite. He cracked me up, and I loved Zu. I mean honestly all the main characters were really great and there was definitely parts that had me on the edge of my seat not knowing what was happening next.

I think it was really well written, I felt everything that the characters felt.

What didn't I like: 
I wish it had explained the powers better. The powers were green, blue, yellow, orange, and red. And it didn't really explain what each one was. 
It did say that some of the people were either red, or yellow, or what not but it never explained like "Blues are mind readers" or anything like that. I wish it would have. 

I really didn't like one of the other characters, I won't say who. But I hate who he turned out to be.

The ending also sucked. I mean I see why it happened and how it fits in with the story. But it still sucked. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I will most definitely finish the series out


Overall I'm really glad I ended up reading this book. If I didn't see the trailer for the movie I would've never given it a choice. Guess that's what I get for judging a book by it's cover.

“It feels like we should do something," he said. "Like, send her off on a barge out to sea and set her on fire. Let her go out in a blaze of glory."
Chubs raised an eyebrow. "It's a minivan, not a Viking.” 
― Alexandra BrackenThe Darkest Minds


All Our YesterdaysThe Lost GirlThe Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)False Memory (False Memory, #1)


Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A





1 comment:

  1. The Darkest Minds - 1920x1080 Wallpapers - Full HD Backgrounds As of August 3, 2015, The Darkest Minds, a series of pencil novels by Alexandra Bracken, was published by Chad Hodge. Fantasy - Film in the category of science fiction; The story is unique in terms of visual, visual and highly successful effects. Full HD The Darkest Minds Backgrounds
    https://fullhdmovieswallpapers.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-darkest-minds.html
    https://fullhdmovieswallpapers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs