Friday, April 27, 2018

Review: The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan



The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)Title: The Lovely and the Lost 
Author: Page Morgan 
Publisher: Delacorte Press 
Publishing Date:  May 13th, 2014
Pages: 368
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy 
Series:  The Dispossessed #2
Source:  Audio
 
Ingrid and Gabby survived the Underneath. They saved their brother, Grayson, from a future of dark servitude and exposed a plot to undermine the Alliance. But danger still lurks in the streets of Paris, and the Dispossessed, perched on the city's bridges and rooftops, might not be able to save their human wards this time.

My review may be a mess. I am writing this review right after finishing the last word of the book. So I am a bit of a mess as this book just breaks my heart. I read the first book years ago and never finished the series. So this year one of my book resolutions was to reread and finish the series that were incomplete. So a couple of weeks ago I reread the first one and finally read the second. I loved the second maybe just a little more than the first. There is something about these books that just grips on to me. This one like the first starts off just an okay read then before I know I am sucked in holding my breathing and holding back tears. The writing is beautiful and seamless. I have been listening to these on audio instead of reading and between the writing and the narrating, I tend to forget these are books and feel so immersed in this world. The second book has more romance, more action, more danger, more story, and more heartbreak. I did indeed loved it with every page.

The first book left off with a little bit of heartbreak but with everyone safe and all the secrets out. This second book picks up pretty close to the end of the first book. Ingrid is feeling rejected by Luc and finding company with Vander. Gabby is training and missing Nolan. Grayson is fighting the hellhound part of himself. But things seem to be going smoothly until The siblings' father comes to France. The arrival of their father leads to their freedom in France becoming lost.  Not only is their father in town, but also Nolan and his father. Which Gabby is incredibly happy to see Nolan but his father does not approve of Gabby being a part of the order. So this causes some complication. Once more strangers enter into the mix. Another Gargoyle, Dimitri, who is to share in protecting the manor with Luc. All this causes drama, but not as much as the new dangers of the betrayal of ones thought of friends,  the bad guys wantingIngrid'ss blood, and Grayson having a hard time controlling his hellhound. So basically all HELL breaks loose… and I do mean Hell.


I will try to keep from rambling as it is known I do this when I am a mess over a book. So this book had all the feels for me. I just want to mention the writing again. This author just has an amazing writing style that just pulls me in and leaves me clueless to anything but the story. I fell so hard for all these characters and the story is just amazing. I felt every heartbreak, every danger, every romance. I just had all the feels. Which in this book is a lot. There are a few things well just one basic thing I don’t like about this book and that is the love triangle.

I don’t loathe love triangles as some do but I don’t enjoy them. Especially when I love all those involved. Ingrid does not mean to be in a love triangle. It’s a little confusing and I wish it didn’t exist but in all truth, she really just wants to love one. The problem is her heart belongs to Luc, but he has made it clear to her this will not happen. It is also very clear that Luc loves her but knows it’s impossible for them to be together. In order for Luc to keep protecting Ingrid, he needs to stay away from her, emotionally and physically. Which causes issues. Ingrid also feels a connection to Vander. Which by the way I just adore Vander. Vander is completely head over heels for Ingrid and she is doing her best not to lead him on, but with the rejection of Luc and the comfort from Vander, her feelings start to develop. And it’s now a mess. She has feelings for both and of course so do. I can’t choose which I prefer her to be with and I am kind of a mess thinking one will have their heart broken. So there lies my problem. If I could just despise one of them… all would be good.

In this installment, I was able to really get to know these characters better. I feel they really shined and came into their own in this book. Less world building more character development. I have to say I really just adore all of them. Ingrid is a headstrong loyal and loving person. She knows what she wants and knows what needs to be done. She isn’t a control freak by any means but she will for sure do what it takes to keep those she loves safe. Once you are in her circle you are golden. She is smart and courageous and just pretty awesome. Gabby really becomes a force to be reckoned with in this book. I just totally adore her. She is fierce and not shy about it. She is also very sweet and loving. I think what I love about these two is that they are still feminine and lovely and well mannered even when they are fierce and forceful.

The ladies aren’t the only ones that get the love in this book. So many awesome characters. Luc and Vander and Nolan all have my heart. I won't go into each and every character but these three guys are the best protectors to have around. They are loyal to the death. Grayson was pretty awesome too. I really felt for Grayson more than anyone else. It’s not his fault he is hell hound and he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. Always having to have it under control he struggles to have a close relationship. What I really love about him though is his undying love for his sisters. The closeness that these tree have is nothing short of amazing. Grayson really shines in this book and I can’t wait to see more of him in the next book.

So the story progresses with more danger and more bad guys. The pace is good and there is always something happening. I found myself really grasping for breath at times as the situations never seem to improve for this group. They of course persevere, not without loss, but they figure out how to carry on. IT was really hard to know who to trust in this book and I fear that really beyond the handful of those the story surrounds, no one can be trusted. The ending came a bit to fast for me and when it did it tore me to pieces and broke my heart a thousand times over. I am sure it won't be long before I grab the next and final book.


Well, it pretty much owned me.


Page Morgan

I'm the author of the YA Gothic thrillers THE BEAUTIFUL & THE CURSED, THE LOVELY & THE LOST, and THE WONDROUS & THE WICKED. I've been intrigued by les grotesquesever since I saw an old, black-and-white photograph of a Notre Dame gargoyle keeping watch over the city of Paris. I wanted to tell that gargoyle's story. Soon, the idea for The Dispossessed series was born.

I live in New England with my husband and our three daughters, an English Pointer puppy, an arrogant cat, two cuddly bearded dragons, a couple of bunnies, a bunch of chickens, and during the summer and fall, our neighbor's two sweet horses.



1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs