Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Soulprint by Megan Miranda


SoulprintTitle:  Soulprint 
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publishing Date: Februrary 3rd  2015
Pages: 368
Genre: YA Sci/Fi -Thriler
Series: Stand  Alone (maybe)
Source:  ARC 


  




Alina Chase has been contained on an island for the last 17 years—whether that’s for the crimes of her past life, or for her own protection, well, that depends on whom you ask. With soul-fingerprinting a reality, science can now screen for the soul, and everyone knows that Alina’s soul had once belonged to notorious criminal, June Calahan, though that information is supposed to be private. June had accomplished the impossible: hacking into the soul-database, ruining countless lives in the process.

Now, there are whispers that June has left something behind for her next life—something that would allow Alina to access the information in the soul-database again. A way to finish the crimes she started.

Aided by three people with their own secret motivations, Alina escapes, only to discover that she may have just traded one prison for another. And there are clues. Clues only Alina can see and decipher, clues that make it apparent that June is leading her to something. While everyone believes Alina is trying to continue in June’s footsteps, Alina believes June is trying to show her something more. Something bigger. Something that gets at the heart of who they all are—about the past and the present. Something about the nature of their souls.

Alina doesn’t know who to trust, or what June intends for her to know, and the closer she gets to the answers, the more she wonders who June was, who she is, whether she’s destined to repeat the past, whether there are truths best kept hidden—and what one life is really worth.




I was a fan of Fracture and when I  noticed another book by this author I dove at the chance to read it. I enjoyed Fracture very much and I am pleased to say I enjoyed this book even more. It was a page turner, fast paced thrill ride from the beginning to the end. Exciting, action packed, and suspenseful. Great characters and a pretty original story. 

Alina chase is 16 years old and she was born with the soul that was a criminal in her past life. Because of June's (the prior body that housed the soul) crimes, Aline is forced to grow up under lock and key on the fear that she will be violent and a criminal.  On the day of her 17th birthday, Alina escapes withe help of 3 other teenagers. She is now on the run helping other to solve the mystery of what really happened to June. With many people after her, including one who helped her escape, she has limited time to clear hers and June's name.... but there is a lot more at stake than just this. Oh and she falls in love too. 

I really liked everything about this story. The characters, the pacing, the story, the romance, the action. It was all good and once I started the book, I had a really hard time putting it down.. The pacing was just outrageous. It was boom boom and boom from the very beginning. No skimming allowed because there would be something missed. There was a ton of action and lots of suspense. I found myself on the edge of my seat many many times. There wasn't a single breather throughout the book. Just as I thought I could catch my breath something else happened. It was very fast paced and highly intense. 

The story was very original and even though I though it was very far fetched it was fun to see where the author was taking me on this journey. The idea of reincarnation is not anything new but the idea of soul printing completely is. At least I have never read anything like it before. It really made me think... if this was possible would be fair or just to judge someone on a past life. Where is the person stored... the personality the desires, the wants and likes... is it the brain, the soul... So if the soul comes back wouldn't everything else. Well I guess this is where the question of nurture and nature come in. Of course Alina didn't stand a chance with either. She was treated like a criminal from the very beginning.Never shown love and pretty much was forced to live a pretty solitaire life. So how was this helpful. Its very thought provoking. 

The characters brought so much to this story too. A great story is not awesome on its own. There is the added bonus of great characters. Alina was a great main character. She was pretty much clueless but she didn't let that stop her. She was very driven to find freedom and she found it very difficult to achieve. This did not stop her from trying. Of course when there is a pretty charming boy helping you out... why would anyone give up. 

The romance was very sweet, slow but not. There was chemistry from the very beginning and it was clear that something would start brewing. When it did it was good, hot, all the good stuff that romance should bring. Yes it was still pretty quick in the time frame of the book but it wasn't all googly eyes and I can't live without you thoughts as soon as they met. They had time, lots of time, 24 hours a day kind of time, to get to know each other. No love triangle either. SO for those that hate that... good book to give a shot. It was really just right for me. There were plenty of pretty cool characters along the way some on the good side, some not so much. 

But they all held their own to do their part on bringing the story to life. The only thing I could ask for is a tad bit more depth. This is hard to do in such a fast paced book. But a bit more history and explaining would have made this book just perfect. Other than that, this book for sure had a great combination for plot, pacing, romance, and character development and I really really hope there is more to this story. I think it will be a series, but nothing points to yes except for the ending. Don't worry no cliffhangers... just a wide open ending for more books to come. 
Loved it. Sci fi and thriller readers would probably love it too. SO give it shot. 






Megan Miranda
Megan Miranda is the author of FRACTURE, HYSTERIA, and VENGEANCE. She spends a great deal of time thinking about the "why" and "how" of things, which leads her to get carried away daydreaming about the "what-ifs." Megan has a degree in Biology from MIT and currently lives near Charlotte, North Carolina with her husband and two children. 
Her next book, SOULPRINT, will be published in early 2015 from Bloomsbury.


6 comments:

  1. Great review. I've been wondering about this book. It looks like an interesting read. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I will have to add it to my list.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Fracture too (which is why I knew there was a good chance I'd like this) and I loved it! Definitely an interesting take on a reincarnation type story, and a few thing surprised me for once, and I just loved the characters, and morality questions it raised. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Megan Miranda's books! I can't wait to read this one....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this one sounds really good! I'm pretty fascinated about the idea of soul printing, and I would love to see how they portray reincarnation on this one. Adding to my TBR! :) Great review.

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I remember reading and enjoying Fracture as well, but I haven't read anything else by the author. This book sounds really interesting and I love the whole premise. I'm so pleased to read such a positive review for it, you've got me thinking that this is one I need to track down a copy of as soon as it's available.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs