Monday, January 5, 2015

Review: Scan by Sarah Fine and Walter Jury

Scan (Scan, #1)Title: Scan
Author: Sarah Fine and Walter Jury
Publisher: Putnam Childrens
Publishing Date: May 1st 2014
Pages: 336
Genre: YA Sci-Fi Thriller/Aliens
Series: Scan #1
Source: Audio



  


Tate and his father don’t exactly get along. As Tate sees it, his father has unreasonably high expectations for Tate to be the best—at everything. Tate finally learns what he’s being prepared for when he steals one of his dad’s odd tech inventions and mercenaries ambush the school, killing his father in the process and sending Tate on the run from aliens who look just like humans. 

All Tate knows--like how to make weapons out of oranges and lighter fluid--may not be enough to save him as he’s plunged into a secret inter-species conflict that’s been going on for centuries. Aided only by his girlfriend and his estranged mother, with powerful enemies closing in on all sides, Tate races to puzzle out the secret behind his father’s invention and why so many are willing to kill for it. A riveting, fast-paced adventure, Scan is a clever alien thriller with muscle and heart.


This book took me a long time to get to. I had it on my TBR list for what seemed like forever and decided I really should read this book since I really am interested in what's inside. I was a little timid for unknown reasons. Shortly after starting the book I realized I was going to love this and I did.IT was great. The beginning started off with a bang and it ended with a bang. I can't wait til the next book comes out.



Tate's life has not been easy. His father is a little nuts and has been training him hardcore for a very long time. Strict diet, strong physical training, and very little free time to spend just being a teenager. His father tells him he needs to be ready, be prepared, but for what. Tate doesn't know until the day he finds an invention, a button gets pushed, the invention gets noticesd and all kinds of craziness starts to happen. Craziness such as, but not limited too... aliens, high speed chases, and lots of explosions. 

I really enjoyed this read. It was just what I needed at the time I read it and it was good. I love thrillers, I enjoy sci-fis. Put the two together and it was just awesome. Who doesn't love a great alien thriller?  It was very fast paced from the very beginning and never slowed down. Just when I thought it would slow a bit, it took off at high speed... again.

The story was great, something different than what I have been reading and although aliens on the planet, wanting to take over isn't anything new, this felt fresh and new to me. The story did have a bit of Men in Black feel but maybe just a bit more serious with all the same booms and bangs. It was just a ton of fun. 

I absolutely loved the characters in this book. For the first time in a while... no complaints. I loved both Tate and Christine. I loved Tate's fun personality, he was confident, he was witty, he was smooth, he was fast on his feet, and he was very inventive. Everything a girl dreams of. Christine just rocked. She was loyal to Tate and I loved this. Oh yea aliens are chasing you that's OK... count me in! She didn't have much to give when it comes to knowing what to do... but she listened well and took direction well. Actually together they were a wonderful team. 

The book was for sure full of thrills and chills and edge of your seat moments and this is what I look for in a book. The only complaints I have... I was a little lost at times on the background and where Tate and his father and his mother and everyone else came into the picture with the aliens. The aliens and the past, and who is chasing who did tend to get a bit confusing at times. I understood enough to keep me going and I am hoping the book was set up this way to get more answers later on... part of the entire suspense and mystery thing. The other complaint is the ending. Really... I hate these kind of endings. I need resolution and its a long while til the next book comes out. 

I have the need to mention the narrator. I think he did a great job on the feel of the characters. Many times with male povs, the audio books tend to lose some of the charm for me. I have a hard time finding great male narrators and Luke Daniels was was a gem. 
I adored the book. It was for sure worth the ride and worth the wait. A great suspense thriller. 





Sarah Fine: When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable. To receive updates on new releases, sales, and bonus material, go to http://sarahfinebooks.com/ and click at the top of the page to sign up for the newsletter.For extra information about the Guards of the Shadowlands series, including Malachi's personal journal entries, or to ask a question: http://guardsoftheshadowlands.tumblr....
For information about the inspirations for Of Metal and Wishes:http://www.pinterest.com/sarahfineboo...


Walter Jury was born in London, has a background in the film industry, is a big fan of the New York Giants, and he's enthusiast of Jamba Juice's Protein Berry Workout smoothie only with soy, never whey. SCAN is his first book for teens. Under his real name, Walter is a producer of one of 2014's biggest blockbusters. You can also Walter on Twitter: @walterjury

1 comment:

  1. I love thrillers too, and really, I'll read anything to do with aliens, and yay for fast pacing, I don't mind a slow pace (but not when it takes forever to get the story to move). Characters are very make or break with me, so good to hear they're likeable. :D Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs