Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Review: Kill The Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky


Kill the Boy BandTitle: Kill The Boy Band 
Author: Goldy Moldavsky
Publisher: Point
Publishing Date: February 23rd 2016
Pages: 320
Genre: YA Dark Humor/Satire
Series:  Stand Alone
Source: Audio
 


From debut author Goldy Moldavsky, the story of four superfan friends whose devotion to their favorite boy band has darkly comical and murderous results.


Okay, so just know from the start that it wasn't supposed to go like this. All we wanted was to get near The Ruperts, our favorite boy band.

We didn't mean to kidnap one of the guys. It kind of, sort of happened that way. But now he's tied up in our hotel room. And the worst part of all, it's Rupert P. All four members of The Ruperts might have the same first name, but they couldn't be more different. And Rupert P. is the biggest flop out of the whole group.

We didn't mean to hold hostage a member of The Ruperts, I swear. At least, I didn't. We are fans. Okay, superfans who spend all of our free time tweeting about the boys and updating our fan tumblrs. But so what, that's what you do when you love a group so much it hurts.

How did it get this far? Who knows. I mean midterms are coming up. I really do not have time to go to hell.
This book grabbed my attention from the get go. I love the simple but bold cover. I was intrigued by the synopsis. I thought hmm now this book sounds different than anything else I have ever read. So I grabbed it on audio. 

There are four crazy fan girls. They like to stalk and talk and walk the life the of this boy band. Each girl in love with a different boy. Well they get a hotel where the boys are staying... you know to catch a glimpse... but they end up kidnapping a boy from the band and eventually he ends up dead. This is their story. How it all went down. 

I knew this book sounded crazy and I wanted to read it. I didn't expect to love it. It was such a nice break from everything that is out there. I enjoyed it from cover to cover. I don't know if this book is for everyone but it was for me. My mind can go to the dark and funny. I can fully wrap myself in a story that is so absurd and so crazy that it can't be real so I know it's unrealistic and I can throw myself into just enjoying it for what it is. And that is what I did with this book and what most will need to do to enjoy this read. It is unrealistic. It is crazy. It is dark. It's funny but yet its serious. It's a lot to take and enjoy if you are not ready for the absurdity of it. It's nuts. 

The story is fast paced and there is a mystery around the entire story. How did the girls plan this, how did they pull it off, what will they do with the boy and finally who killed the boy. Each comes into play and plays all the way out at different times. So there is no waiting until the last page to figure it all out. It unwraps as it goes but each time one question is answered another one comes up. So it kept me very interested. 

The girls were all crazy. I didn't like a single one of them but then again for their part in the story I did. I would never want to meet these girls on the street for sure but without even one of them, the story would not be complete. 

Now let me say. This book is crazy and like nothing I have ever read but there are some cliches too. Especially with the characters. Some stereotyping, Some not so nice things. But its a satire story and so yest there are some cliches. There is the mean girl, the follower, the overweight, and the bossy. They all fit their parts and they all fit for the story. It didn't bother me in the least. 

The story could be said to make fun of fan girls. Yes it does but it also brings to light just how crazy girls and fans can get and when they get crazy they get stupid. None of these girls had parents that looked out for them.None of these girls had lives beyond the boys.None of these girls were truly accepted for who they were. On top of that... the boys weren't all that great either. So add all this to fan girl crazy and you get one unpredictable teen.Not saying this is the norm but it does bring to light maybe someone should have noticed these girls need so professional help. 

In the end I was satisfied. There is some kind of ending but the reader was left with the big question.... did this all really happen the way its is told or even at all. I love those endings. Its a bit unbelievable and truly its hard to know. But the fun was watching it unfold. Fiction int he fiction or truth in the fiction.... who knows who cares. It was a wild ride. 




I truly enjoyed it and it was worth the read.






Goldy Moldavsky writes YA fiction from her hometown of Brooklyn. She studied journalism in college, where she got to interview some cool celebrities for her school paper. After a bit she realized it’d be more fun making up stories about celebrities, so that’s what she does in her writing. Some of her influences include Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the esteemed works of John Irving, and the Mexican telenovelas she grew up watching with her mother.
Her debut novel, KILL THE BOY BAND, is forthcoming from Scholastic (Spring 2016).


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs