Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Review: The Revolution of Ivy by Amy Engel

The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #2)
Title: The Revolution of Ivy
Author:  Amy Engel
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publishing Date:  November 3rd 2015
Pages: 290
Genre:  YA Dystopian Romance 
Series:  The Book of Ivy #2
Source:  Audio
 

Ivy Westfall is beyond the fence and she is alone. Abandoned by her family and separated from Bishop Lattimer, Ivy must find a way to survive on her own in a land filled with countless dangers, both human and natural. She has traded a more civilized type of cruelty--forced marriages and murder plots--for the bare-knuckled brutality required to survive outside Westfall's borders.


But there is hope beyond the fence, as well. And when Bishop reappears in Ivy's life, she must decide if returning to Westfall to take a final stand for what she believes is right is worth losing everything she's fought for.




This was one of the two  most anticipated books of the year for me. I was thrilled to get it but also very nervous. The Book of Ivy stole my heart and I didn't want to be disappointed. I so wasn't. This book was just as amazing as the first with Ivy, Bishop, and some new characters. The story progresses and it takes a full circle with a very wonderful but heartbreaking ending. I am sad to see its ended but I am pleased with how it ended. 

Ivy and Bishop are now seperated. Bishop was left in the town while Ivy was exiled outside the gate.Ivy must find a way to survive on the outside while trying to forget Bishop.  She finds a community and she finds a way to survive then Bishop shows up and once again Ivy's heart has to make a choice. Stay with her new friends or go back to Westfall. 



Its been a long time since a set of books or any book has won me so hard over as these two books. This author is amazing. Her writing is so vivid and so real. The characters are raw and flawed and so lovable but worth hating all at the same time. The emotion is off the charts and there  isn't a thing I don't love about these stories. I wish there was more. 

The characters that Engel brought to life were just so amazing for me. I loved Ivy. She made me mad, she broke my heart, she gave me hope, she just made me love her. She was a contradiction in the first book. Living with an Ivy everyone saw and and Ivy she was fighting to be. This book she was the Ivy she wanted to be but still struggled. She was dealing with the guilt of her intended murder, the pain of losing her family and her husband. The anger that her family didn't fight for her. And most of all she was fighting to stay alive. She never gave up and trudged through. She survived. 

Bishop..... oh my goodness. He stole my heart over and over and over again and just kept on going. I don't think I have ever loved a character more. I remember in the first book I kept waiting for Bishop to show his true colors, be an ass. Well never happened. A truly stand up, kindhearted, strong minded, good guy. I don't know what to do with that. In the second book this does not change. Even when Ivy tries to push him away, even knowing Ivy was planning to kill him. Even with all the lies Ivy surrounded thier lives with.... he loved her and and he went after her. He stood by her. He fought for her. All with a loving and forgiving heart. Oh he owns my heart. 

There are a couple new characters in this book. Caleb and Ash. They are a couple of wilderness living natives that save Ivy.... kind of.  I loved them too. Caleb is kind of the older brother of Ash and they live in a community of a bunch of wilderness dwellers. They are pretty awesome. Caleb is strong, good leadership skills.  Trustworthy,  a fighter for those he loves. Ash is bubbly but sweet, a great friend, loyal. Both of these characters know what it is to be a family. Just what Ivy needed. 

So this story has a few explosions along the way and one big one that was pretty awesome in the end. In between there is a lot of swoony moments, many heartbreaking words exchanged, bonds made, yes there is some kissing and a couple steamy moments. There is fighting, hunting, and just living. I loved loved loved it.



I would recommend this duology to anyone who loves a great swoony romance in a dystopian world with lots of lies and betrayal. One of my all time favorite reads. 






















Amy Engel
Amy Engel is the author of THE BOOK OF IVY (out now) and its sequel, THE REVOLUTION OF IVY, which will be available on November 3, 2015. In addition, her debut adult novel (gothic suspense), THE ROANOKE GIRLS, is forthcoming from Crown in early 2017. Amy lives in Missouri with her husband and two children. 

2 comments:

 
Imagination Designs